Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RemoteInfo Script

I"m coming up with GetTotalSize returning a value in kB. Is that right?

In case anyone is interested in adjusting the SD calculation, I did the math on a DTivo with a full 500GB drive, and came up with an average of 810MB/hr. I'm setting my SDkph to 829440 to more accurately represent the usage I am seeing.
    They say beer will make me dumb. It are go good with pizza!-----------
    3XR10, prommed, 3xdvr40,4xdvr39, all networked, ranging from 40GB to 750GB

crashHD,

GetTotalSpace returns the number of 512 byte blocks. So, you take GetTotalSpace/2 to get Kibibytes (KiB), or GetTotalSpace/2/1024/1024 for Gibibytes (GiB). GetTotalSpace for my 2 TB drive returns 3903979520, or 1861 GiB.

I have had a chance to look over your drive layout. It looks like you added two new mfs pairs, the first one ~1024GiB and the second one ~800GiB. This has put the base address of the second added pair starting at block 2159525952. Your version of mfs only stores a 32bit value for this, and it is above 2147483647, which is the maximum for a signed 32bit int. I would suspect that any tool that doesn't read this as an unsigned int would have problems. I read that you have filled the drive, so you appear to be safe there. I would be concerned about a mfscheck, have you triggered a GSOD and see how it is handled? It looks like you have a spare 2TB drive, maybe that would be a good test for you to run on it to make sure you don't run into trouble.

Another thing to test, is try adding the smaller pair first. This would keep the next pair under the 32bit signed int, and might be handled better by some of the mfs tools. That seems safer to me, but I am by no means an mfs expert. Maybe someone else will chime in on it.

I figured that out not long after my last post. I was still getting negative numbers for space available, so then I hard coded GetTotalSpace to return the number of sectors to match what I got from this line of output from mfsinfo:
    "zonemap_ptr=1121 total_secs=3830415360"

It's running, and giving reasonably believable.

This sounds almost similar to the old LBA48 boot issue. Basically, what you're saying is I need to get the base address of the last partition in the first TiB of the drive?

For the purposes if testing if this 2TB drive can pass a GSOD, does it matter how full the drive is? My spare drive already has a copy of the same tivo image on it with this MFS partition setup, but it's only 1/2-2/3 full of recordings.
    They say beer will make me dumb. It are go good with pizza!-----------
    3XR10, prommed, 3xdvr40,4xdvr39, all networked, ranging from 40GB to 750GB

GetTotalSpace only considers Media not Apps. The total_secs includes both. Your value would be 3827269632.

Correct, I would keep the base address of the last partion < 1TiB. I would probably do that even if the GSOD passed, but that's just me. I'm not sure exactly what the mfscheck does, but I would try to have it > 1TiB full.