Thread: What's up with the forum software?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

35 What's up with the forum software?

First of all, I really hate the new forum format. It's harder to read and more difficult to navigate (especially searches) than the previous format. Why did it get changed? I see no value at all in the change.

Secondly, when / why were the signature permissions changed? I went to modify my signature, which had links in it, and the permission to include links is now turned off. That's not good. Is there any way I can request this get modified?
    Having trouble with TyTool? Try TyTool Documentation
    Need to hack an S3 / THD? Try S3 Hacking Script

You could try sending a PM to "vadim", who runs the forum. He installed a newer version of vBulletin, but didn't change the forum logo from the default. I have no idea why the signature rules were changed, though we do get a lot of spammers here.
    Steve

Thanks. I sent him a PM. There certainly used to be a lot of spam, but I don't recall seeing any at all for the last few months. I can certainly understand restricting the permissions for new users, but I don't see how it is of value for veteran users.

Hey Folks,

Sorry about the signature link thing, I will actually fix that shortly, the reason I turned it off was because back link spammers were using this board just for back linking and it seriously was a problem. I will make a new rule that will allow BB link code for users over a certain number of posts. The Logo will also get changed, that is my fault I was working on a number of projects at the same time and did not get a chance to redesign some logos and stuff.

The reason I upgraded to VB4.x was because of security, VB3.x has been EOL for long time and I could no longer feel safe running something with no security support, it is my responsibility to the members to protect their information, and I could no longer accomplish that with running outdated software. Yes I know it's not much information but I don't want anyone stealing even email addresses.

You'll be seeing a few more changes over the next few days.

-Vadim
    - Vadim
    Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Vadim View Post
    Hey Folks,

Sorry about the signature link thing, I will actually fix that shortly, the reason I turned it off was because back link spammers were using this board just for back linking and it seriously was a problem. I will make a new rule that will allow BB link code for users over a certain number of posts.
    That will work. Thanks.

The Logo will also get changed, that is my fault I was working on a number of projects at the same time and did not get a chance to redesign some logos and stuff.
    I can relate. 'No worries. As long as the fix is in the pipeline, I'm happy.

The reason I upgraded to VB4.x was because of security, VB3.x has been EOL for long time and I could no longer feel safe running something with no security support, it is my responsibility to the members to protect their information, and I could no longer accomplish that with running outdated software. Yes I know it's not much information but I don't want anyone stealing even email addresses.
    I'm certainly not blaming you. vBulletin wrote the code, after all. As their customer, I suggest you supply feedback from your customers to them. 'Count me as one less than satisfied customer.

You'll be seeing a few more changes over the next few days.
    Cool... I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
    There certainly used to be a lot of spam, but I don't recall seeing any at all for the last few months.
    That's because your friendly neighborhood moderators have been vigilant at stamping it out soon after it appears. Believe me when I say this forum attracts a lot of spam.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stevel View Post
    That's because your friendly neighborhood moderators have been vigilant at stamping it out soon after it appears. Believe me when I say this forum attracts a lot of spam.
    That's the problem. Do a good job of suppressing vermin and the users think you are unnecessary. Let a few slip through and you are useless. I was last on the site about 6 hours ago, in that time I notice labbie48 quashed three of the pests.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

I never said you guys were unnecessary. I just said the level of spam seems to have diminished. If that is due to dilligence, rather than forum volume, then it's all that much better.

"You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time."

Ok links should work in the signature. I don't want to openly post which rules are used to determine if you can use BB link code or not but let's put it this way, everyone that is entitled to it will automatically have these rights. Backlinkers will have no shot.
    - Vadim
    Administrator

Yep. See my sig.