Thread: Odd Transfer Issue

Odd Transfer Issue

This is an oddball. Whenever I transfer a STZHD recording from the Tivo to my PC (using TTG), the last 500 MB of the file do not transfer (meaning the last part of the movie does not transfer). When I check the file on the Tivo, it is all there and plays just fine. Example, transferring "Apocalypto", the file size is approximately 15.2 GB on the Tivo. After transferring to PC it is 14.7 GB and the end of the movie is not there. What did transfer, plays fine on the PC. As I mentioned, the file plays fine on the Tivo and the whole thing is there. This only happens on STZHD transfers. All other transfers result in the entire file being transferred successfully. I have done the transfer 2-3 times, with the same result. If anyone has an idea of what is going on, I would appreciate hearing from you. Thanks in advance.

Try using pytivo or kmttg to transfer the recordings. You may have better luck with them.

http://code.google.com/p/kmttg/

http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/PyTivo

Soapm - Thanks for the info (I have been gone for a while). I tried pytivo and all transfers seem to be limited to 4,216,000 KB in size. As soon as a transfer hits that total, it ends and pytivo starts transferring the next recording. The drive on the PC is an NTFS-formatted 1 TB drive, so the "4gb limit" should not be an issue. I am sure I missed a setting somewhere. Again, any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Soapm - Additional info - I am not using "Decrypt with tivodecode" (VideoReDo will do that for me).

I would ask in the pytivo thread at the other forum.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=328459

Quote Originally Posted by svenn View Post
    This is an oddball. Whenever I transfer a STZHD recording from the Tivo to my PC (using TTG), the last 500 MB of the file do not transfer (meaning the last part of the movie does not transfer). When I check the file on the Tivo, it is all there and plays just fine. Example, transferring "Apocalypto", the file size is approximately 15.2 GB on the Tivo. After transferring to PC it is 14.7 GB and the end of the movie is not there. What did transfer, plays fine on the PC. As I mentioned, the file plays fine on the Tivo and the whole thing is there. This only happens on STZHD transfers. All other transfers result in the entire file being transferred successfully. I have done the transfer 2-3 times, with the same result. If anyone has an idea of what is going on, I would appreciate hearing from you. Thanks in advance.
    If those files are being copied to a FAT32 partition, quit doing that and put them on an NTFS partition instead.

FAT32=4GB file size limit
    Too busy TiVo wrangling to watch television anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by unitron View Post
    If those files are being copied to a FAT32 partition, quit doing that and put them on an NTFS partition instead.

FAT32=4GB file size limit
    unitron - no offense, but in my 2nd post, I clearly stated the transfers are to a 1 TB NTFS-formatted drive. I am well aware of the 4GB size limit and referred to such in that post.

Resolution - I searched the forum (link above - thanks, Soapm) and could not find any solution. Rather than start another series of posts right now, I just used kmttg and was able to successfully transfer the 3 STZHD recordings in their entirety. It still makes no sense to me that JUST the STZHD recordings transfer all but the last few hundred MB of a recording (from the Tivo to the PC). kmttg had no problems with the transfer. TivoDesktop has no problems with any other channel. Ghost in the Machine, I guess. At any rate, I consider the problem resolved, even if not understood. Thanks for your help, Soapm and unitron.

Apologies, even though I'm in the Eastern Time Zone, to my body it's the middle of the night. I read your first post and somehow my eyes had glazed over by the time I got down the page. When you said "end of the movie", I immediately thought of how FAT32 partitions clip the last few minutes from a 2 hour show.

If the common denominator is STARZ, could there be something they do to sabatoge successful full copies? I realize that's reaching a bit, and you're probably waiting for me to throw the Illuminati, the Masons, and the Templars into the mix and mention the grassy knoll, but if it's only happening with their stuff...

If you could get the TiVo to transfer it backwards, starting at the end of the show, I wonder if it would do 5 minutes and stop, or give you everything except the first 5 minutes, or just send the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by unitron View Post
    Apologies, even though I'm in the Eastern Time Zone, to my body it's the middle of the night. I read your first post and somehow my eyes had glazed over by the time I got down the page. When you said "end of the movie", I immediately thought of how FAT32 partitions clip the last few minutes from a 2 hour show.

If the common denominator is STARZ, could there be something they do to sabatoge successful full copies? I realize that's reaching a bit, and you're probably waiting for me to throw the Illuminati, the Masons, and the Templars into the mix and mention the grassy knoll, but if it's only happening with their stuff...

If you could get the TiVo to transfer it backwards, starting at the end of the show, I wonder if it would do 5 minutes and stop, or give you everything except the first 5 minutes, or just send the whole thing.
    unitron - I think the Illuminati and Masons is a ridiculous reach....but I am pretty sure the Templars have something to do with this

seriously - this is definitely a STZHD-related issue. ALL other HD channel recordings transfer fully. I just recorded a 1'30" movie and "added" an extra 30" to the recording time. When I transferred the recording, it still clipped the end of the movie. The only method I have found to get the entire recording is to use kmttg. It transfers the whole thing, regardless of length. Perhaps kmttg is "ignoring" some weird flag the STZHD is using?? I love a good conspiracy
    Last edited by svenn; 11-23-2011 at 03:57 PM.

I meant to add to the last post,

Is anyone else experiencing this odd transfer issue? It just started happening here about 1-2 weeks ago. All my old STZHD transfers are complete - just the recent ones are problematic.

Have you asked about it over at TCF yet?

Much larger sampling pool.

Last post on this topic. As of yesterday, the STZHD recordings began transferring fully via TivoDesktop 2.62. I have absolutely no idea what caused the problem or the resolution. AFAIK, nothing has changed during the past 3 months software-wise. Don't you love problems that cure themselves? Happy New Year to everyone here. P.S. to unitron - your tagline is becoming a bit of reality for me

Quote Originally Posted by svenn View Post
    Last post on this topic. As of yesterday, the STZHD recordings began transferring fully via TivoDesktop 2.62. I have absolutely no idea what caused the problem or the resolution. AFAIK, nothing has changed during the past 3 months software-wise. Don't you love problems that cure themselves? Happy New Year to everyone here. P.S. to unitron - your tagline is becoming a bit of reality for me
    The current version of TiVo Desktop is 2.8.2.

Did you really have to "downgrade" to an older version or have you just never installed a newer one?

unitron - I have tried all the versions over time a and have always had some problems with anything past 2.62 and Windows 7 x64. So, I always end up reverting to 2.62 and it works fine for me. I keep all the old versions on the HDD and once in a while, will try one again - but 2.62 seems to be the most stable for me.