Thread: Cablecard settings

Cablecard settings

I was reading the guide for WinMFS and noticed it says it saves the Cablecard settings on S3 and TivoHD. Where are these settings kept? I assume on the root directory but does anyone know the file(s) name? I would like to make a back up so I don't have to call the cable company to repair my Cablecard when something happens. For some reason I have to convince them to completely delete the card then add it back from scratch or it doesn't pair. The problem is finding someone who'll listen to you since the standard response is, "I resent the signal just wait 45 minutes and you should have all the channels. If not cal us back".

I don't think it is kept in a file on the Linux filesystems. The root partition is read-only, and /var can get completely wiped at any time. Unless I am much mistaken, the configuration is all kept on the MFS file system, which has no userspace access.
    Having trouble with TyTool? Try TyTool Documentation
    Need to hack an S3 / THD? Try S3 Hacking Script

concrete acid stain

I believe most (or all?) of the CableCard state is in MFS in /State/Cablecard. Access to mfs is available both from tivosh (on tivo only; readwrite) and mfs-utils (tivo or pc side; readonly).

Ok, I give. What does available from tivosh mean or entail? I googled tivosh and it is used in a lot of commands but I don't see how to use it directly. I found my file is in /tvbin/tivosh but I get nothing when I type /tvbin/tivosh --help.

I likewise doesn't understand what you mean by mfs-utils? I have tyFtpd running but all I see with it is the NPL. is there a command or different port I should be using that gets me to these settings? The drive is out of the Tivo and I have a Linux box, is there a utility or apt-get I can use to access /State/Cablecard?

Sorry Jamie but your response went way over my head, is your statement a more technical version of lrhorer's when he said, "MFS file system, which has no userspace access"? In other words I can dd the partition to another drive but I can't get in to copy out the files?

tivosh is a tcl interpreter with tivo specific extensions. tivowebplus, for example, is written in tivosh compatible tcl. Check out /tvlib/tcl for lots of example code. In particular, /tvlib/tcl/tv/mfslib.tcl may be instructive, as well as dumpobj.tcl in the same directory. A tivowebplus module to save/restore cablecard info might be a useful utility for you to write.

mfs-utils

Technically, IMO, lrhorer was incorrect when it said that MFS has no userspace access. Both mfs-utils and tivosh are userspace programs that access MFS.
    Last edited by Jamie; 11-29-2011 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    tivosh is a tcl interpreter with tivo specific extensions. tivowebplus, for example, is written in tivosh compatible tcl. Check out /tvlib/tcl for lots of example code. In particular, /tvlib/tcl/tv/mfslib.tcl may be instructive, as well as dumpobj.tcl in the same directory. A tivowebplus module to save/restore cablecard info might be a useful utility for you to write..
    I'll spend a few days digesting these files but I'm the last one you want writing a tivowebplus module. You know how long it took me to figure out that hackman was a separate module? Actually I had to ask because I screwed up many installs of TWP trying to get hackman to work without using the modules Hopefully someone will have the time to write something like that, I see where it will be very useful. Also if we could save the channels we selected during the guided setup. We have close to 900 channels on our cable and it takes a lot time to figure out which are spanish, filpino not to mention which are HD so not in the package I pay for etc...

After closer reading I found vserver was for streaming...

I have mfs tools on my Tivo but my questions is what do I do with them to get to this layer of the mfs partitions...
    Last edited by Soapm; 11-29-2011 at 02:01 PM.