Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: They're baaaaack!

The hardware of the THR22 is identical to that of the HR21/HR22. I have an HR21 and the new HD GUI makes it much faster overall.

The software is upgradeable just as the HR2x series is - whether or not new features will be added is anyone's guess.
    Steve

I have gotten my first 3 HR22 units. I got the first one going and booted it up right away, planning to upgrade HD later. Well I got my HD's in and my wife has recorded stuff on it already. Now I know that on these units, you can just plop in the new HD and get it going, but can you copy data from old HD using MFStools and extend partition or am I just SOL?

Quote Originally Posted by kprinkki View Post
    I have gotten my first 3 HR22 units. I got the first one going and booted it up right away, planning to upgrade HD later. Well I got my HD's in and my wife has recorded stuff on it already. Now I know that on these units, you can just plop in the new HD and get it going, but can you copy data from old HD using MFStools and extend partition or am I just SOL?
    Maybe neither. This thread are for the new HD DVRs running TiVo software. What kind of a unit did you get - the DirecTV DVR with their own firmware or the new HD DirecTiVo with TiVo firmware? If you got the new HD DirecTiVos you have my sympathy and you may be SOL. If you got the DirecTV HD DVRs, keep reading.

MFS Tools won't cut it, the file structure is totally different. It IS possible (easy) to copy the contents of the old drive to the new drive. Read the entire thread 'HOWTO: Upgrade the Hard Drive in an HR20' (directly above this one) and follow the links to the DBSTalk forums for step by step procedures.

In a nutshell, you boot the DirecTV HD-DVR with the new drive in it. This formats the drive. Then you place both old and new drives in a computer, boot form a bootable Linux CD, and copy the files from one drive to another. The best part is it appends the files on the source drive to the target drive. If you screw up your recording are still present on the original drive.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.