Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: They're baaaaack!

They're baaaaack!

The new TiVo HD DVR from DIRECTV

Experience DIRECTV with the TiVo® HD DVR.
    With the TiVo HD DVR from DIRECTV, you can enjoy the amazing entertainment on DIRECTV with the features you love from TiVo. Create WishLists® that automatically find and record shows and movies you’re interested in. Discover new shows based on what you already love. And automatically record every episode of an entire season, even if its air time changes.
    Please note: The TiVo HD DVR from DIRECTV is not compatible with DIRECTV Whole-Home DVR service, 3D and other DIRECTV features
    Woooohoo! Time to dust off my old notes while waiting for delivery and try to figure out what new "challenges" await us!

not compatible with DIRECTV Whole-Home DVR service, 3D and other DIRECTV features
    Let's see, that includes caller ID, scheduling recording from a remote location, and viewing recordings on a computer.

Seems to be a lot to give up to regain the TiVo UI. Losing Whole-Home would be a killer as far as my wife is concerned.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill View Post
    Let's see, that includes caller ID, scheduling recording from a remote location, and viewing recordings on a computer.

Seems to be a lot to give up to regain the TiVo UI.
    True...but we also had those features about 8 years ago on our hacked units.

Of course. However, it seems likely that the new DirecTiVos will be just as hackable as the DirecTV DVRs and the latest TiVos. So you can choose between those features, or you can have a TiVo UI - but not both.

PlainBill

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Of course. However, it seems likely that the new DirecTiVos will be just as hackable as the DirecTV DVRs and the latest TiVos. So you can choose between those features, or you can have a TiVo UI - but not both.

PlainBill
    Why? Since these units weren't designed to be TiVos, isn't it possible the security techniques that are present in the TiVo units might not be as bulletproof on this unit?

Because the present DirecTV DVRs have never been hacked, either. Why should you assume that TiVo's hardware designers are superior to DirecTV's?
    As a matter of fact, the DirecTiVo THR22 uses the same hardware as the DirecTV HR22 DVR. I would say unless the TiVo programmers deliberately crippled the protection (highly unlikely) the new product will be just as unhackable.

PlainBill
    Last edited by PlainBill; 12-11-2011 at 03:32 PM.

The HRs don't run an OS on the hard drive like a TiVo does. That makes it MUCH more difficult to modify the OS to hack into it. Because TiVo runs a Linux OS on the hard drive, it makes it easier to modify the system files.

It's possible that TiVo radically altered the way it works on the THR22, but it seems much more likely that it works like a traditional TiVo.

If it does run like a tivo, or at least uses something similar to the initrd, you'd have this as an attack vector:

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...710#post313710
    Before PMing me: I’m not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

I'm surprised nobody has opened one up and mounted the disk to see if it resembles a TiVo or not.
    Steve

If MRV could be enabled, it would be perfect for us. I am nursing along two old SD DirecTiVos. Was waiting and waiting for this unit and find out it is crippled. Had Series 3 on cable and loved those. Especially with THX certification. Now that we travel full time satellite is really the only option. And it must be the TiVo UI for my lovely wife.

Quote Originally Posted by stevel View Post
    I'm surprised nobody has opened one up and mounted the disk to see if it resembles a TiVo or not.
    Somebody may already have, but that topic would be discouraged on DBStalk for a number of reasons.

PlainBill

Somebody may already have, but that topic would be discouraged on DBStalk for a number of reasons.

PlainBill
    But it's encouraged here...right? I thought "hacking the TiVo" was the reason we're all here...as long as "Hacking direcTv" is NOT discussed. For me personally, I'm most interested in anything that has to do with TiVo extraction!

Sure, we'd be glad to discuss extraction here. However, I suspect that the THR22 will be much more resistant to hacking than the older DTiVos.
    Steve

I began with the SD DTivos and made my way to the HD DTivos, while in the meantime moved to an HR21 as well. Over the last year, the DTivos have began to fail and I have not replaced them or the drives, which is what had been failing I'm sure. I have a 2TB drive in the HR21 with about 70% available and it had always been slow, now even more so since DTV upgraded it a month or so ago. Needless to say, we're looking to change to a different reciever. I have always missed the Tivo UI, but it seems as though DTV is marketing this new Tivo unit as a handicapped unit. I have no doubt that if it did what the HR2x's would do, it would leave them in the dust and DTV's warehouses would be full of new old stock shortly. With the customization ability of Tivo, do you think the new DTivo's will have the features of the HR's made available through future software updates? Does it's hardware offer the ability for software to make it possible? What are your thoughts on DTV abandoning their DVR for Tivo's DVR engine system-wide in the future? I also remember that the last SD DTivo's, I believe was the R10, were much more difficult to do much to aside from hard drive upgrades without a flash.

I received this email notice today from TiVo...officially announcing the nationwide rollout The TiVo® HD DVR from DIRECTV:

http://info.tivo.com/PS!bi2LPreiAXQF...Njk3Mjg2NzMzBQ