Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't Run Netconfig.tcl

Can't Run Netconfig.tcl

Have enjoyed about 5 years of stability, until I decided to update my router (from Linksys to D-Link, DR-655), and instead of going the easy route (and changing the IP address of the router), I decided to change my Tivo IP addresses instead. At this point, I'm not sure why.

The Tivos are DSR-708s and DVR40s with 6.2-01-2-301, both Instacake, PTV Net, Alpha Wolfe's S2s, and Superpatch-67-all-NutKase-1.0.

I received some good advice from Cheer, five years ago, about amending my static IP address by using L.G. Kahn's netconfig.tcl script.

The problem is... I have made several attempts to run that script, but I'm getting fatal errors.

Specifically, the code I used was:
    ./netconfig.tcl (then ip address subnet mask default gateway and dns server).

I received the following text in response:
    Tmk Assertion Failure:
    FsAllocateFunction, line 159 ()
    Tmk Fatal Error: Thread tivosh <314> strayed!
    Paste the following into a shell to get a backtrace...

bt -t /tvbin/tivoapp <<END_OF_BT
    read 0x2aaa8000 /lib/ld.so.1
    read 0x2ab04000 /lib/libutil.so.1
    read 0x2ab48000 /lib/libdl.so.2
    read 0x2ab8c000 /lib/libpthread.so.0
    read 0x2abe8000 /lib/libm.so.6
    read 0x2acb0000 /lib/libc.so.6
    0x012cdf04 0x01384aa4 0x0138518c 0x013851e0 0x00f58a3c 0x00f58124 0x00612c48
    0x00403090 0x2acc13fc
    END_OF_BT
    Tmk Fatal Error: Thread tivosh <314>: assertion failure

Then I tried:
    Tivosh ./netconfig.tcl (then ip address subnet mask default gateway and dns server). I received the response: Tivosh: command not found.

Then I figured I'd specify the sub directory containing the file, with the following command:
    /tvbin/tivosh ./netconfig.tcl (then ip address subnet mask default gateway and dns server).

That caused a fatal error, producing the following text:

Tmk Assertion Failure:
    FsAllocateFunction, line 159 ()
    Tmk Fatal Error: Thread tivosh <335> strayed!
    Paste the following into a shell to get a backtrace...
    bt -t /tvbin/tivoapp <<END_OF_BT
    read 0x2aaa8000 /lib/ld.so.1
    read 0x2ab04000 /lib/libutil.so.1
    read 0x2ab48000 /lib/libdl.so.2
    read 0x2ab8c000 /lib/libpthread.so.0
    read 0x2abe8000 /lib/libm.so.6
    read 0x2acb0000 /lib/libc.so.6
    0x012cdf04 0x01384aa4 0x0138518c 0x013851e0 0x00f58a3c 0x00f58124 0x00612c48
    0x00403090 0x2acc13fc
    END_OF_BT
    Tmk Fatal Error: Thread tivosh <335>: assertion failure
    flushing ide devices: hda

So, any idea why I cannot seem to run this script, when I could do so successfully five years ago?

And more to the point, how do I get back on my network, having simply changed out a router?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
    DSR-708 and SD-DVR40
    both on sw 6.2 & networked
    Instacake, PTVNet, Alpha Wolfe's S2s, superpatch-67all-NutKase-1.0

Will those models let you plug into a serial port and catch and interrupt the boot process the way the S1 stand alones will?

'Cause, if so, the TiVo itself offers a "set your IP address" option.
    Too busy TiVo wrangling to watch television anymore.

First, thank you for your response, unitron.

From my notes of 5 years ago, it is my understanding that 6.2 has a problem with the on board IP address setting in the rc.sysinit.author file.

This was addressed with L G Kahn's netconfig.tcl file, wherein you set the IP address there.

And there lies my problem. Five years ago, I simply ran that file with the statement I mentioned above (tivosh ./netconfig.tcl etc etc etc etc). Now it causes a fatal error, or does not recognize the tivosh statement at all.

I know the netconfig.tcl file exists as i can see it in the tvbin subdirectory. Any ideas on how to invoke that file?
    DSR-708 and SD-DVR40

I'm just wondering, since you've had a similar problem in the past: is there anything about your network that REQUIRES you to set a static address? Since the DR-655 supports DHCP reservation, would it be easier all the way around to assign your TiVo an address from the router side, and then enable dhclient? Sorry, I know this doesn't answer your specific question...
    More software at http://davidlauria.com/software.
    The lost alt-rock masterpiece from the '90s, Range of Motion's "Soft Buzz of Silence", is now available on iTunes!

djl,

Thanks for weighing in...

Here is where I expose my (now) dimmed memory. The main reason I went with a static IP address was so I would not have to determine my TiVo's IP address each time I look to employ TyTool for downloading a recorded program to my PC.

Also, I'm not confident I know how to go to DHCP.

Would you be willing to offer me a tutorial/walk through?
    DSR-708 and SD-DVR40

I don't have your particular router, but it has a section along the lines of 'DHCP reservation' or 'static IP mapping'. You'll need to input your Tivo's mac address and the desired IP. From that point on, your router will always assign that IP address to your Tivo so the net effect is the same as having a static address. Then you'll just have to restore dhclient on your Tivo and reboot.
    The lost alt-rock masterpiece from the '90s, Range of Motion's "Soft Buzz of Silence", is now available on iTunes!

djl,

So that sounds like a much smarter way to proceed than I had planned.

A couple of questions though...

1) How will I determine my TiVo's Mac address, now that the only connection I have to it is via serial cable?

2) How do I go about restoring dhclient?
    DSR-708 and SD-DVR40

The mac address is actually for your network adapter. I assume you were using a USB dongle; it might be printed right on it. If not, you can plug it into any computer and let it install. Then just get the address from whatever device manager your OS uses.
    Do you have a bash prompt via telnet? If so you can restore dhclient that way (if you still have it backed up, anyway)

I'm using an FA-150 (USB to Ethernet) connected to a game adapter (Linkysys WGA-54G).

And it is your point that has always been a source of confusion for me...

Should the game adapter and the TiVo use the same IP address? Does that even matter anymore if I adopt your strategy of employing DHCP?

For the WGA-54G, I use their install CD to set the IP address, but I don't recall seeing the mac there. Where would I find it if it is not printed on the game adapter itself? And confirm I would use the game adapter's IP address and Mac, not the
    FA-150's right?

On the dhclient issue, I do have a bash prompt, via serial cable, and although i recall how to move files via FTP,
    I cannot for the life of me recall how to get a file moved from my PC to the Tivo using the bash prompt.

Also, I saw a dhclient file in one of my TiVo subdirectories. Can I use that one? And if so, how would I go about invoking it?

I apologize upfront for all of the questions...and appreciate your time and patience.
    DSR-708 and SD-DVR40

If nothing else, the MAC will be visible in the router. Just look at the connection the device is making in the router and it should display the mac address.

My router lets me choose a device connected and just set the lease not to expire.

Quote Originally Posted by gnezer View Post
    I'm using an FA-150 (USB to Ethernet) connected to a game adapter (Linkysys WGA-54G).
    And it is your point that has always been a source of confusion for me...Should the game adapter and the TiVo use the same IP address?
    No. Under LAN, advanced settings, you should set the game adapter to "obtain IP address automatically". That way, all IP addresses are set by your router. You can (probably should) reserve an address for the game adapter to make that easy to access as well.

Does that even matter anymore if I adopt your strategy of employing DHCP?
    DHCP means that your router is giving out all addresses. DHCP reservation means that the same address is given to a certain device every time.
    For the WGA-54G, I use their install CD to set the IP address, but I don't recall seeing the mac there. Where would I find it if it is not printed on the game adapter itself?
    Look in the basic setup screen, it's there.
    I'd get this stuff done first, then worry about dhclient...

As I'm on travel till Friday, it will be a couple of days before I'm able to pursue this. I look forward to applying your advice.

And one last clarifying question....should I also go back and amend my rc.sysinit.author file to stop static and start DHCP on my TiVo?
    DSR-708 and SD-DVR40

Does anybody know if TiVo's own Wireless G USB adapter can be used with satellite TiVos with USB ports?
    Too busy TiVo wrangling to watch television anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by gnezer View Post
    And one last clarifying question....should I also go back and amend my rc.sysinit.author file to stop static and start DHCP on my TiVo?
    Well, you can probably guess there Definitely comment out the static route commands. You probably renamed /sbin/dhclient to something like dhclient.bak in order to keep it from running. Pretty sure you just need to set it back to its correct name, but it's been a long time since I worked on a DTV unit so do some reading. Good luck!

I'd read through the backport thread. I don't think G is supported on Directivos unless you're running the 7.2.2-oth-K1 kernel with the 7.x usb drivers, which don't support WPA. Unless I'm remembering that completely wrong...
    Quote Originally Posted by unitron View Post
    Does anybody know if TiVo's own Wireless G USB adapter can be used with satellite TiVos with USB ports?