Thread: Bootup problem

Bootup problem

Hi I have two series1 tivo's , one tive is having a problem booting up but since the HD was making a lot of noise i thought that was the problem so i had a quickview HD and clone it but still would not boot so i took the HD from the good tivo and put it into the non working tivo and started right up so i would think its the tivo it self and not the HD.......it starts to boot and the screen flickers and reboots for a few mins and then gets stuck on the "your recorder is starting up" error.......I guess if its a tivo MB problem its not worth fixing or is it? Thanks

Your description of the test and conclusion doesn't make any sense. Perhaps if you wrote it as a number of sentences it would be possible to comprehend.

You have two series 1 TiVos. Are they the same model?

What is 'Quickview'? Does it have the capability of cloning TiVo or other Linux drives?

Did the hard drive from the Good TiVo work in the 'dead' TiVo? You said it did; that means the problem is the hard drive. Or was that an error?

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

iftheharddrivefromthegoodtivoworksinthebadtivowhydoyouthinkthebadonehasahardwareissue?

Tivo A is working fine.......Tivo B will not bootup......the screen flickers and reboots...........over and over.....So i took out Tivo A's hard drive and put it into the non-working Tivo B............and i get the same results.......
    Both Tivo's are the same model and "Quickview" hard drives are the maxtor 5400 rpm drive...I know they get used in tivo's and you can get them on weakness website...

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, it sounds like a hardware (as opposed to hard drive) problem. I would suggest one additional experiment - swap the power supplies power cables, and drive cables between TiVos. If the problem stays with the B system it truly is the main board. As far as troubleshooting the main board, I wouldn't even try.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by chips View Post
    Tivo A is working fine.......Tivo B will not bootup......the screen flickers and reboots...........over and over.....So i took out Tivo A's hard drive and put it into the non-working Tivo B............and i get the same results.......
    Both Tivo's are the same model and "Quickview" hard drives are the maxtor 5400 rpm drive...I know they get used in tivo's and you can get them on weakness website...
    Have you tried Tivo B's hard drive in TiVo A?

If it boots up and says something about fixing a problem, pull the plug and put the drive back where it belongs.
    Too busy TiVo wrangling to watch television anymore.