Thread: Tivo harddrive... Windows install..??

Tivo harddrive... Windows install..??

Hey guys.. I just got a tivo at a thriftstore for a little bit of nothing.. popped the harddrive out took it home booted it up...Clean windows install? Nothing in any of the user folders.. Its a 80 gig Maxtor.. left the actual tivo unit at my parents.. wat.jpg

Looks like a clean vista install.. But theres nothing in start menu, no boot loader..and no *unix looking files like i usually find in these hard drives..

I would not expect to see anything Windows-like on a TiVo disk. There would be multiple partitions, some FAT32, some that Windows would not know what to do with.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by saeia View Post
    Hey guys.. I just got a tivo at a thriftstore for a little bit of nothing.. popped the harddrive out took it home booted it up...Clean windows install? Nothing in any of the user folders.. Its a 80 gig Maxtor.. left the actual tivo unit at my parents.. wat.jpg

Looks like a clean vista install.. But theres nothing in start menu, no boot loader..and no *unix looking files like i usually find in these hard drives..
    Quote Originally Posted by stevel View Post
    I would not expect to see anything Windows-like on a TiVo disk. There would be multiple partitions, some FAT32, some that Windows would not know what to do with.

A TiVo drive that's never been in anything but a TiVo will not have any partitions on it that can be read by a Windows machine, or even a partition table that can be read by it. The ones that aren't either the partition map itself or TiVo specific will be Ext2.

However, a drive which has been used in both a TiVo and a Windows machine may have both the Apple Partition Map and a DOS/IBM-style partition table, which means that both fdisk and pdisk on the MFS Live cd will return a result, although that doesn't mean the partitions themselves still exist.

Did you bother to see if the TiVo would boot up?

Check to see if you got lucky and got one with Product Lifetime Service?
    Too busy TiVo wrangling to watch television anymore.