Thread: A virus? On my Tivo?!?!

A virus? On my Tivo?!?!

I was remotely working on my HD recently, and forgot to close the telnet port on my router when I was done. The next day I had some trouble connecting to Tivowebplus, so I did a ps to see if it was running or not. There must have been a couple of dozen rogue processes, all spawned by some files in /var/run with names like 'mipsd', 'shd', and 'mipsel.' Some botnet had found its way in and was trying to turn my Tivo into a spam zombie! It was easy enough to clean: I killed the top entry, deleted the files in /var/run and rebooted. Hopefully, this thing didn't actually manage to send any messages. Considering that there are a bunch of viruses that target embedded devices that run linux (like routers, for example), who's to say that a different bot wouldn't be able to do some major damage?

The moral: don't be a bonehead like me! Never leave a command port open to the world!
    More software at http://davidlauria.com/software.
    The lost alt-rock masterpiece from the '90s, Range of Motion's "Soft Buzz of Silence", is now available on iTunes!

What? Can't be true. We all know Linux doesn't get viruses!
    Steve

Wow! I wonder if that's the first case of an infected TiVo!

Congrats! :-)
    .-=Omikron=-.

TiVo Series4 Premiere Development HERE

Do you have a PROM related question? Check HERE and HERE before sending me a PM. Any questions that have already been answered will be deleted if sent via PM.

If it becomes contagious we'll know where to look for patient zero.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Quote Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
    If it becomes contagious we'll know where to look for patient zero.
    LOL... it was worse than I thought, by the way. It got on my router and the two went back and forth reinfecting each other for a while. Eventually I had to do an emergency reinstall on the Tivo. The bot was aidra and it is NASTY piece of work.
    More software at http://davidlauria.com/software.
    The lost alt-rock masterpiece from the '90s, Range of Motion's "Soft Buzz of Silence", is now available on iTunes!

Fascinating - had not heard of this one. Saw one writeup at http://issviews.com/blog/warning-aid...-hydra-botnet/
    Steve