Thread: Record directly onto PC?

Record directly onto PC?

I plan on hacking a TiVo to be able to record TV shows including premium ones which from my understanding is possible with the CCI hack. What I don't know is if it's possible to save directly onto my PC's hard drive instead of saving the recording onto the TiVo and having to extract it after the recording has finished. Can it be done? I must admit that I haven't read around thoroughly so I hope this question hasn't been asked before..

Quote Originally Posted by Banoobs View Post
    I plan on hacking a TiVo to be able to record TV shows including premium ones which from my understanding is possible with the CCI hack. What I don't know is if it's possible to save directly onto my PC's hard drive instead of saving the recording onto the TiVo and having to extract it after the recording has finished. Can it be done? I must admit that I haven't read around thoroughly so I hope this question hasn't been asked before..
    It may have been asked before, but I doubt it has been accomplished. In theory, it is relatively simple - patch the code to direct the output to a firewire or gigabyte ethernet port and stream it to your computer. Whoops!!! There's the first problem - no firewire or ethernet port on the Series 2 TiVos. Still, a USB 2.0 port does have sufficient bandwidth, so that's not a major obstacle. The next problem I see is buffering the stream to accommodate delays at the computer side. What happens if the computer is off, temporarily busy, the hard drive is badly fragmented, or the network is busy?

To me a better approach would be to automate the standard extraction process so any new recording is extracted as soon as it is complete.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Or you can use the automation in kttmg (sp?)