Thread: MFSCOPY in WinMFS taking days! Still running.

MFSCOPY in WinMFS taking days! Still running.

I started WinMFS on Monday at 12:3pm and I am running MFSCOPY on a 750gb drive to a 1tb drive. Today is Wednesday and it's still running - 48 hours now! The progress bar is moving, but only by one square in several hours. It says it's copying the MFS Media partitions. Is it normal for it to take this long???
    • Very fast i7 pc with 6gb ram, Win 7 Pro
    • Source drive Seagate SATA DB35 750 gb.
    • Target drive WD SATA 1tb (also got same very slow transfer using a Seagate drive as target.)
    • Latest available WinMFS .9 I think.

How are the drives connected? It should take long for WinMFS to complete. You have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
    How are the drives connected? It should take long for WinMFS to complete. You have a problem.
    Straight forward SATA to SATA. winMfs found the drives fine and progress bar showed all the other partitions being copied over ok. It's slow during coping of the mfs media partition.

disabled realtime virus protection, same problem. I'm going to try MFSLIVE instead

[solved]

Quote Originally Posted by avpman View Post
    I started WinMFS on Monday at 12:3pm and I am running MFSCOPY on a 750gb drive to a 1tb drive. Today is Wednesday and it's still running - 48 hours now! The progress bar is moving, but only by one square in several hours. It says it's copying the MFS Media partitions. Is it normal for it to take this long???
    • Very fast i7 pc with 6gb ram, Win 7 Pro
    • Source drive Seagate SATA DB35 750 gb.
    • Target drive WD SATA 1tb (also got same very slow transfer using a Seagate drive as target.)
    • Latest available WinMFS .9 I think.
    The source drive had some bad sectors. Which I thought WinMFS was supposed to be able to handle. I finally resorted to using dd_rescue (which is designed exactly for this purpose) from the MFSLive disk. The old drive copied over rather quickly to the new drive. Just a few hours for 750gb! Fortunately the bad sectors all appeared to be located in the media partition where the shows are kept. So I shouldn't run into any operational problems going forward.