Thread: SAT T60 stuck between 50% and 60%, Telnet OK

Unhappy SAT T60 stuck between 50% and 60%, Telnet OK

Today the Tivo restarted, for unknown reasons, and never reaches 100%. It is at version 3.1.0c2-01-1-011.

Telnet still works, and recorded programs can be watched. However, I can't access the 'to do' list as it is 'acquiring program guide info'. The signal strength is good.

Anyone have any troubleshooting suggestions? Or is it time to retire this ten year old Tivo?

Hamsterman
    "There is no gift like the present"

Update-
    I've read elsewhere that Series 1's (SAT T60 and Phillips 6000) need 3.5c or 3.5d software in order to work now, as there has been a change to the guide data. When I have time, I'll try to update the software.

Hamsterman
    "There is no gift like the present"

Me too. A few days ago, my SAT-T60 restarted, and now it hangs at 60% when it reaches "Last step: acquiring information from the satellite". Mine is at version 2.5.2-01-1-011 (where it's been for the last 9 years)! My Telnet connection (via ethernet) isn't working either (so I can't extract recorded programs from the TiVo to my PC). However, the serial connection still works fine.
    Last edited by poochbeast; 05-15-2012 at 11:14 PM.

If you aren't on 3.5d (for a Series 1), you'll have this problem. Perhaps you have the update slices in MFS and can update manually.
    Steve

Thanks Steve & Hamsterman.. Good info.. My hand is forced to update

OK, my sister's SAT-T60 TiVo was having this problem. I telnetted in and looked at the software cache and the 3.5d slices were there. I installed the software upgrade, and now the TiVo seems to boot OK (I don't have a satellite dish to actually try it out). The TiVo reports it is running 3.5d. The problem, however, is I lost my network capability. The turbonet card neither tries to obtain an IP via DHCP, nor does it evidently configure the static address I had set on the unit. I figured it would be no big deal to go in and take a look around by mounting the drive on a PC. Unfortunately, it isn't turning out that way. I booted Linux and ran tivopart r, and the partitions show up just fine, but as I rather expected, the version of Linux I am using could not read the byteswapped partitions. I tried booting the Steve Jenkins boot disk, but I can't get it to recognize the TiVo partitions, either. If I could just get partitions 4 and 7 mounted, I should be able to fix this. I'm not sure why Jenkins isn't working, except perhaps it's because the CD-ROM drives are SATA. The motherboard also only has a single PATA channel, but that shouldn't hurt, I don't think.

How can I get the partitions mounted?
    Having trouble with TyTool? Try TyTool Documentation
    Need to hack an S3 / THD? Try S3 Hacking Script

Quote Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
    I tried booting the Steve Jenkins boot disk, but I can't get it to recognize the TiVo partitions, either. If I could just get partitions 4 and 7 mounted, I should be able to fix this. I'm not sure why Jenkins isn't working, except perhaps it's because the CD-ROM drives are SATA. The motherboard also only has a single PATA channel, but that shouldn't hurt, I don't think.

My last line of defense in those cases is the trusty old Turbonet boot cd. I never tried it in a sata environment though...

Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately it had precisely the same problem as the Jenkins CD. I also tried MFS Tools 2.0, and it suffers a kernel panic. I finally dug out an ancient Compaq Presario and booted the Turbonet CD from there. The partitions came right up, and I was able to successfully kill the initrd and copy all the binaries and scripts to the machine, but for some bizarre reason the Ethernet won't come up. The Turbonet card initializes and the driver writes to the log just fine and with no errors, but I can't ping the TiVo. I tried re-installing the drivers, changing the static IP address, and implementing DHCP, all to no avail. Arp-scan returns nothing, and the DHCPD logs show no requests from the TiVo.

I've beaten my brains out, but I can't for the life of me think what could be wrong. When I get home tonight, I am going to mirror the switch port and fire up Wireshark to see if any packets at all are coming out of the interface.

Ok, I found the problems (there were several), and networking is fully functional. I would like to put busybox or some similar utility on this TiVo, however, but I can't find a version for the Sony SAT-T60 DirecTiVo. I've looked all over this board and on the web in general, but I can't find a version that works. I see a bunch compiled for MIPS, but none for PPC. I do have one myself that is supposed to be for PPC, but it segfaults if I try to run it. I'm pretty sure this worked on my old Philips S1. Is the SAT-T60 not compatible with the SA PPC? Does anyone know where I can get a copy of this utility compiled for the SAT-T60?

Quote Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
    OK, my sister's SAT-T60 TiVo was having this problem. I telnetted in and looked at the software cache and the 3.5d slices were there. I installed the software upgrade, and now the TiVo seems to boot OK (I don't have a satellite dish to actually try it out). The TiVo reports it is running 3.5d. The problem, however, is I lost my network capability. The turbonet card neither tries to obtain an IP via DHCP, nor does it evidently configure the static address I had set on the unit. I figured it would be no big deal to go in and take a look around by mounting the drive on a PC. Unfortunately, it isn't turning out that way. I booted Linux and ran tivopart r, and the partitions show up just fine, but as I rather expected, the version of Linux I am using could not read the byteswapped partitions. I tried booting the Steve Jenkins boot disk, but I can't get it to recognize the TiVo partitions, either. If I could just get partitions 4 and 7 mounted, I should be able to fix this. I'm not sure why Jenkins isn't working, except perhaps it's because the CD-ROM drives are SATA. The motherboard also only has a single PATA channel, but that shouldn't hurt, I don't think.

Is the Jenkins cd LBA48 aware?

It's been a few years since I messed with it.

The MFS Live cd v1.4 is, and will do byteswapping, although I remember something about having to use v1.3b to be able to mount partitions or dd them or something like that. It's been a few years.
    Too busy TiVo wrangling to watch television anymore.