Thread: What's Possible with the Series 2?

What's Possible with the Series 2?

I've been searching & searching and reading and reading, but most of the stuff here is rather "jargon-y" for me. And the most recent document put together as a FAQ for TiVo hacking is over 5 y ears old.

What I'd like to know is what's possible with the Series 2 Standalone.

I've also done some searching around the whole of the Internet and there seem to be upgrades that you can just buy from suppliers. What they don't really spell out or say is whether you'd be able to upgrade to TiVo's newest interface (like the one that TiVo Premiere uses).

I'm only looking to upgrade the functionality of my TiVo. I'd sure like to be able to watch Netflix and the like on my Series 2. Can anyone out there tell me whether that's possible?

Second - and less important - question: what does "NO DTV HACKING TALK ALLOWED" mean (there's no explanation in the FAQ)? Do people really try to talk about hacking HDTV here? Or is that a reference to something else?

Thanks, in advance, for any help!

Pax, harmonia,

BGPhilbin

In this context, "DTV" means DirecTV. In other words, we do not condone piracy or stealing service. So discussion of hacks that would allow you to receive programming or service you don't subscribe to are prohibited.
    Steve

Thanks, Steve - that's very helpful.

I neglected to mention that I just bought a TiVo Premiere and have Netflix there, which was what prompted me to ask about what added functionality my TiVo Series 2 Standalone is capable of with modifications.

It would be nice to have sharing between the two devices, as well.

I'm presuming that there might be upgrades needed for some of the TiVo hardware in order to work anywhere nearly as well as the Premiere, but it would be nice to have as much of the same OS functionality as the Premiere as possible without having to mod the hardware.

Again, any information as to how far the box is capable of being upgraded is greatly appreciated!

Pax, harmonia,

BGPhilbin

The hardware is not really upgradeable, other than the size of the hard disk. I haven't refreshed my memory of this area in a while, but the major thing you could do is disable encryption of the recordings to allow them to be extracted and burned to DVD or played elsewhere. But you get a lot of that capability with TiVo service anyway. TiVoWebPlus is nice for giving some finer-grained control over recordings.
    Steve

Thanks, Steve, that's helpful. Not sure that I want to play with disabling encryption, since I can get a decent copy by playing whatever program into a recording device. May not be the best quality or the quickest way to do it, but it works and I'm already set up to do that if I need to.

In reviewing TiVoWebPlus and its available modules on Wikipedia, I haven't found anything that I feel to be a distinct advantage over the operations I can already perform through TiVo.com or my TiVo app on my Android.

What I'd really like to be able to do is have the same functionality as the current version of the TiVo operating system used in the Premiere and the like, which lets you explore the show, it's episodes, etc. and also allows access to Netflix & YouTube.

Is there any kind of upgrade possible there? I haven't seen any indication of that ability (at least stated outright) either here or on any of the products that are available through other websites. Some guidance in this area would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, again, in advance!

Pax, harmonia,

Brian

I'm not aware of that sort of functionality being available. Keep in mind that the Series 2 boxes are considerably lower in compute power than the newer boxes, and you wouldn't have access to TiVo's servers for the program data. I think you'd be better served by a Roku box or similar.
    Steve

Ah, fair point - why spend the time tinkering with code when the solution is as inexpensive as a Roku? I've seen refurb units for as little as $40.00.

Still trying to figure out something cool I can to do with the old TiVo now that I have a Premiere, but thanks, Steve, you've been very helpful!

Pax, harmonia,

Brian