Thread: alright, what now?

alright, what now?

Just got a dirtv r10 and seems to be working. I hooked it up put my sub DTV card in it and got "wrong access card" message. What do i do now? I subscribe to DTV, I just want to record to and view from the tivo box. I dont like the subscription idea, is there any other way? Thanks....
    Last edited by marcko; 06-18-2012 at 02:32 AM.

Call up DirecTV and talk to a CSR. Be prepared to give them the Serial number and RID number of the old receiver and of the R10 DVR. You MIGHT be able to have the present card activated in the DVR, but don't bet on it. And if the previous owner of the R10 owes money, you are pretty much SOL unless you want to pay off his old bill. Subscribing it will add about $8 to your monthly bill.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Did the mirror fee go up from $5?
    They say beer will make me dumb. It are go good with pizza!-----------
    3XR10, prommed, 3xdvr40,4xdvr39, all networked, ranging from 40GB to 750GB

plainBill.... If I do that will the R10 replace my current dtv box or in addition to the old box? Also, will this require a renewed contract, (almost any change does) 2 years. I dont want a renewed contract, and I dont want to pay any more subscription fees. Any other options?> Thanks,...

If your new R10 gets activated as a leased unit (it shouldn't, but CSR's can and do screw up), you will be on the hook for two years.

Whether it replaces or is in addition to the old box depends on which way you have them do it. If you add it as a new, additional box, you will need to have them send you a new card. If it replaces your old box, sometimes they will reuse your old card, sometimes they will not. The new cards are about $25, but often times, if you ask nicely, they will comp this charge.

Do you already have dvr service on the account? If not, that will be an additional fee.

Quote Originally Posted by crashHD View Post
    Did the mirror fee go up from $5?
    Currently I'm paying $8.00 (total) per month for DVR service on 5 HD-DVRs.

PlainBill

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

I see. You were talking about the dvr fee, but I was thinking about the receiver lease/mirror fee.

I've had premier since back when it included dvr service. I tend to forget about the dvr fee

Quote Originally Posted by marcko View Post
    plainBill.... If I do that will the R10 replace my current dtv box or in addition to the old box? Also, will this require a renewed contract, (almost any change does) 2 years. I dont want a renewed contract, and I dont want to pay any more subscription fees. Any other options?> Thanks,...
    You can do it either way. crashHD pretty much describes your options. If you use the DVR to REPLACE your present receiver it will cost you $8.00 per month to use the DVR feature plus possibly an additional $25? charge for a new card. If the DVR is for a second room, you will definitely have to pay for a new card and a $6.00 fee for a second receiver. We've had DirecTiVo or DirecTV DVRs for more than 10 years and feel the service is well worth the price.

As far as the charge for additional services, if you go into McDonalds and order a combo they hit you with an additional fee. DirecTV is providing an additional service and expects to be paid for it.

As far as your other options, you can go with cable or OTA TV, or Dish. Or you could build a dedicated media computer, figure out how to control the DirecTV box, and use it to record the programming.

PlainBill

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill View Post
    You can do it either way. crashHD pretty much describes your options. If you use the DVR to REPLACE your present receiver it will cost you $8.00 per month to use the DVR feature plus possibly an additional $25? charge for a new card. If the DVR is for a second room, you will definitely have to pay for a new card and a $6.00 fee for a second receiver. We've had DirecTiVo or DirecTV DVRs for more than 10 years and feel the service is well worth the price.

As far as the charge for additional services, if you go into McDonalds and order a combo they hit you with an additional fee. DirecTV is providing an additional service and expects to be paid for it.

As far as your other options, you can go with cable or OTA TV, or Dish. Or you could build a dedicated media computer, figure out how to control the DirecTV box, and use it to record the programming.

PlainBill
    I have had DTV for well over 10 years as well. I have built a media computer and can do it again. I suppose what I need help with is controling the dtv dvr. Can I get that help here?
    I will not sign another 2 year contract. Ill throw the r10 in the trash first.

I have had DTV for well over 10 years as well. I have built a media computer and can do it again. I suppose what I need help with is controling the dtv dvr. Can I get that help here?
    I will not sign another 2 year contract. Ill throw the r10 in the trash first.
    Please note the following phrase at the beginning of each section.
    NO DTV HACKING TALK ALLOWED!!
    It should be obvious to all but the most obtuse that discussion of anything resembling theft of service is not allowed. I WILL go to the point of stating that as far as I know, NOBODY but DirecTV can enable the DVR function on the R10.

It has already been mentioned several times - Call DIRECTV.

Give them the information (RID and Serial Number) on the R10.

Find out if you can subscribe it.

Find out how much it will cost.

Find out if it will extend your subscription - (it shouldn't).

If you don't want to spend $8.00 per month, give or sell the R10 to someone who can use it. But above all, quit whining.

PlainBill

no one is whining,

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill View Post
    Please note the following phrase at the beginning of each section. It should be obvious to all but the most obtuse that discussion of anything resembling theft of service is not allowed. I WILL go to the point of stating that as far as I know, NOBODY but DirecTV can enable the DVR function on the R10.

It has already been mentioned several times - Call DIRECTV.

Give them the information (RID and Serial Number) on the R10.

Find out if you can subscribe it.

Find out how much it will cost.

Find out if it will extend your subscription - (it shouldn't).

If you don't want to spend $8.00 per month, give or sell the R10 to someone who can use it. But above all, quit whining.

PlainBill
    Sorry if it sounds like I'm whining, but I am not talking about stealing anything, hacking anything, or doing anything that would be considered slight of hand. You guys are so touchy here..... I just want a digital machine to replace my VCR. A non-linear recording device to time shift programming. jeeeezzzzz! If nothing is available now, there should be. that's all Im saying. Please don't come back with the argument that everything cost now, like bottled water, TV service, compressed air at the filling station.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm whining, but I am not talking about stealing anything, hacking anything, or doing anything that would be considered slight of hand. You guys are so touchy here..... I just want a digital machine to replace my VCR. A non-linear recording device to time shift programming. jeeeezzzzz! If nothing is available now, there should be. that's all Im saying. Please don't come back with the argument that everything cost now, like bottled water, TV service, compressed air at the filling station.
    DVRs are available, some may not require additional fees; it's up to you to do the research I do know the R10 DOES require an additional fee. One available for under $100 is the Archos. However, programming it to record would probably be a two step process - you would have to program the DVR to record at a set time, and program your DirecTV receiver to tune to the proper channel at that time. There are more sophisticated ones, the Magnavox MDR515H is one example.

PlainBill
    Last edited by PlainBill; 07-01-2012 at 10:08 AM.

Thanks Plain,.... That is what I was looking for. I just did not want another DVD recorder where is, in most cases, a "one-time-write" and limited to 2hrs. I assumed that since the Tivo box had required hardware to record, including HDDs that this machine could be used, in limited fashion, as I had hoped. Thanks for hanging in there with me to get my question answered!...

If you can think of any examples of other recorders that would work in this case, please let me know.... many thanks!

Thanks Plain,.... That is what I was looking for. I just did not want another DVD recorder where is, in most cases, a "one-time-write" and limited to 2hrs. I assumed that since the Tivo box had required hardware to record, including HDDs that this machine could be used, in limited fashion, as I had hoped. Thanks for hanging in there with me to get my question answered!...

If you can think of any examples of other recorders that would work in this case, please let me know.... many thanks!
    I would suggest ypu can get better results by doing the research yourself. The AVS Forums have a section on PVRs / DVRs. Entering DVR into the search box on Amazon will give an extensive list of devices. And as always, Google is your friend.

PlainBill