Thread: Where is service number stored on Tivo HD motherboard

Where is service number stored on Tivo HD motherboard

I have a tivo HD with lifetime service that has a bad tuner (hit by lightning). I have a second working tivo HD. Does anyone know which chip on the MB contains the service number?

Thanks

blahman is offline blah blah blah blah blah.
    For the Series 3 OLED it is in a separate crypto chip that can be desoldered and moved.
    For the S3 HD and S3 HDXL it is on/in the CPU, so for these the only way to to move TSN's between units is with an IR rework station and BGA reballing kit.

Info from: http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...service-number

Just wanted to mention if you already have another THD you could try swapping the TSN numbers on the TiVo webpage under your account. That used to work for swapping lifetime between units of the same model (example TCD652160 to TCD652160).
    Last edited by blahman; 12-27-2012 at 10:27 AM.

Thank you so much for the reply. FYI, I did several searches but did not find that post, thanks for the pointer. I have a hot air rework station but I dont feel confident to move a BGA. Also there are several BGA's on the motherboard.

I do see the option for transferring the service number. The page says:

You can change your TiVo service number online if either of these situations apply:

o You activated your DVR and then exchanged it through your retailer or through the manufacturer and now need to update the TiVo service number on your account
    o You need to correct the TiVo service number that you initially activated

When I tried it, I got an error:
    We're sorry, but it appears your service has already been activated.If you feel you are receiving this message in error, please call TiVo Customer Support at 1-877-367-8486.

Thanks for the suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by texan4ever View Post
    I have a tivo HD with lifetime service that has a bad tuner (hit by lightning). I have a second working tivo HD. Does anyone know which chip on the MB contains the service number?

Thanks
    Would it not be much easier to remove the bad tuner and put in one from the other box?
    Too busy TiVo wrangling to watch television anymore.

blahman is offline blah blah blah blah blah.
    Yes, I believe you would have to de-activate the second HD if you currently have both on your account, then you can swap the TSN of the deactivated unit in place of the TSN that has lifetime. I would ask on the TiVo Community Forums though first to be sure that the process itself is still valid.

You could also do just as unitron suggests and swap the tuners. Sometimes I miss the obvious.