Thread: Slice guide data creation and Australian TiVo slow death march

Slice guide data creation and Australian TiVo slow death march

Hi All,

It appears that the TiVo in Australia is dying a slow death as they are no longer selling units and have no indication of bringing in new units or the TiVo Premier.

http://www.techau.tv/blog/tivo-no-lo...-in-australia/

My question to the TiVo community is that if they do end up dropping the ball and leaving us with TiVo labelled paperweights what options do we have?

Has anyone or any country worked out the guide data slice file formats? Are we able to roll our own if TiVo leave us in the lurch?

Do we have to prom mod our units to get this guide data in there? Is there a way around this without prom modding?

I thought I would ask these question now so the Australian community is prepared for the day they pull the pin.

It should be noted that we do not pay for guide data as all units in Australia are sold with a lifetime subscription.

Your help wold be greatly appreciated people.

All good questions, but ones that aren't allowed for discussion here. This exact thing happened in the UK for the original Series1 UK units when the new VirginMedia (s4-based) tivo was released. Read up on that (they had a forum at the outset with all the questions you have), but from memory, the answer to your questions are:

Yes, Australia/NZ (Warren Toomy ran the Oz guide generator), Canada (simplicity), and now the UK have all worked out the guide data (tridge). It's not terribly complicated, it's just gathering all info, and then stuffing it into slices day in an automated way that's the trick.

Likely yes, you'd have to prom mod your units. There aren't any public sw-only exploits for the Series3.

Prep is not bad, but you may not get far until the day arrives (as this technology can be used for evil).

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by tivo4mevo View Post
    Yes, Australia/NZ (Warren Toomy ran the Oz guide generator), Canada (simplicity), and now the UK have all worked out the guide data (tridge). It's not terribly complicated, it's just gathering all info, and then stuffing it into slices day in an automated way that's the trick.

Likely yes, you'd have to prom mod your units. There aren't any public sw-only exploits for the Series3.

Prep is not bad, but you may not get far until the day arrives (as this technology can be used for evil).

Cheers
    Thanks for the responses.

So am I right in assuming that the guide data slices for series one and series 3 units are very similar? As you mentioned the oztivo community has been working with series one units for quite some time. So if the processes are the same then we are over half way there.

Shame about needing a prom mod. That would keep it out of the range of most people when/if TiVo aust dies. Interesting use of the words 'public sw exploits' .
    Fingers crossed TiVo demise in Australia will induce a public exploit.

Well hopefully TiVo USA can keep the service going for longer than the currently rumoured 2015 end date. Doing so would stop some pretty serious attempts at cracking the TiVo HD security which would no doubt be inevitable if thousands of Australians were left with a TiVo shaped doorstop.

Aside from MFS schema updates, the guide data remains unchanged, I believe.

I should have noted that the OzTivo emulator was shuttered in preparation for the DVB TiVoHD, but could probably be resurrected without much difficulty.