Thread: MFSRESTORE question

flagmaster Guest

MFSRESTORE question

I have a backup file made from the HR10-250. The source had a 250 gig drive in it.

The command was....

mfsbackup -f 9999 -6s0 /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdc

Using MFS restore I can restore this to another 250 gig drive no problem.

Is there any way I can restore this to a 160 gig drive?

I know there will be less space, but thats not an issue for me. The restore command Im using is:

mfsrestore -s 127 -bzpi /mnt/dos/tivo,bak /dev/hdc

The error Im getting is that the drive is not large enough to contain the backup by itself.

My question is, is there a different command I can use that will restore the the BOOT UP, none of the recordinds, and accept the lower size capacity?

That is not possible with mfsrestore. It does not have the capability of adjusting sizes of the mfs database partitions.

There ARE two other possibilities (both requiring skills well above mine). This thread has hints on building an mfs file structure from scratch.

Also, there are images of minimal software versions available. It MIGHT be easier to use one of them as the starting point.

You could also check the capabilities of the various mfs live utilities. I don't think they have the capability of shrinking an mfs partition during backup, but I haven't studied them.

Myself, I'd just use whatever 250 Gig+ PATA hard drive I could find.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by flagmaster View Post
    I have a backup file made from the HR10-250. The source had a 250 gig drive in it.

The command was....

mfsbackup -f 9999 -6s0 /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdc

Using MFS restore I can restore this to another 250 gig drive no problem.

Is there any way I can restore this to a 160 gig drive?

I know there will be less space, but thats not an issue for me. The restore command Im using is:

mfsrestore -s 127 -bzpi /mnt/dos/tivo,bak /dev/hdc

The error Im getting is that the drive is not large enough to contain the backup by itself.

My question is, is there a different command I can use that will restore the the BOOT UP, none of the recordinds, and accept the lower size capacity?

I suspect you'll need to restore to a 250 or larger and then figure out how to shrink it.

Go over to the IDE/SATA adapter thread on TCF and see if anybody's successfully used a SATA drive and adapter with an HR10.

It'll need a JMicron or Marvell chipset based adapter, but you should be able to pick up a big enough and then some SATA drive more cheaply and more easily than a PATA drive.
    Too busy TiVo wrangling to watch television anymore.