Thread: Well it looks like I need help disposing of my TIVo device.

Well it looks like I need help disposing of my TIVo device.

In response to my other post, the used TIVo device I purchased may indeed be a doorstop. If it is, then I will need to dispose of it.

Does TIVo and Co. recycle these devices? Or are they a burden to the locality that they are disposed of in?

If they retain control of the device, all of the electronics, and all of its uses, then why don't they provide for a method of disposing them?

It seems from the response to my first question that I may have bought the right to access the "service" that the device offers? This implies the device is still controlled by TIVo, but are they responsible for disposing of them? It makes sense to me that they should take the device back given the cost to "recycle" electronics these days.

If they don't take the devices back, or do not have a formal mechanism to do so, that seems awfully shady to me, (but smacks of the uncertainty and indistinctness of the TIVo website "terms"). It seems to me that you can't have it both ways.

I wonder how many hundreds of tons (god forbid, thousands of tons) of TIVo devices could be in landfills?

It just seems like such a waste. But then, maybe they own some of these cartage and waste handling companies. You know..........

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about this? Thank you!

The questions have been answered in the other thread, but here's my two cents worth.

No, TiVo doesn't recycle them. On the hand, Campbell doesn't recycle their soup cans, Miller their beer bottles, nor Ford their automobiles. My city DOES recycle the water they sell me, charging me for the service. As for the other items, you will note that there are services that will recycle them, often paying you for the opportunity.

On the other hand, you do have a number of options. I'd first look to the person you purchased it from. If they implied it was working properly, they have an obligation to take it back. As an alternative, list it on Craigslist, noting it's condition. Someone may be willing to pay money for the privilege of trying to repair it. I'm not that generous, but I would be willing to pay the cost of shipping to get another item to fix.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Best display of circular reasoning, straw man logic, and self-serving rationalization that I've seen in a long time. Bravo.

Many cities and towns offer electronics recycling, and some stores (Best Buy is one) do too. I don't know of any electronics manufacturer that has a general recycling option, though some PC makers offer this when you buy a new one.
    Steve