Thread: Can a TivoHD play copy protected content from a Tivo Premiere?

Can a TivoHD play copy protected content from a Tivo Premiere?

I just switched from a DTV HR10-250 to Comcast with 2 Tivo Premieres. One of my biggest desires is to extract shows for archive and one-the-go playback on my various devices. I was so excited to see how well Tivo desktop works in this regard but was very disappointed when I tried yesterday to extract a show recorded from HBO to find that it was copy protected and not downloadable.

My understanding is that development is underway for things like encryption disable on the Premiere/series4 but isn't there yet. Is that correct?

Would I be able to buy a TiVoHD and use MRV to transfer a recording from the Tivo Premiere and then extract it (assuming the HD was hacked to disable encryption)? Obviously I could just record the content on the TivoHD in the first place but I'm curious about this capability also.

Also, can anyone tell me why I would NOT want to get a TivoHD and return one of my Premieres (I'm still in my 30 day trial period)?

Thanks!

Won't work, as long as it's recorded as copy protected it won't transfer. However, if you hack the TivoHD you can disable the encryption then record the show again since it's on HBO.

I did some reading after posting the question and I thought that would be the answer. So is there anything I'd miss if I returned one of my 2 premiere and got and HD instead?

Quote Originally Posted by mitkraft View Post
    I did some reading after posting the question and I thought that would be the answer. So is there anything I'd miss if I returned one of my 2 premiere and got and HD instead?
    That is what I do. I have a tivoHD, hacked with CCI disabled.

I use it to record items that are set to 'Record once', ie, protected.

From my Premiere4, I can see when and if recorded, by looking in 'My Shows' at the bottom.

When I see something there on the TivoHD, I transfer it to the Premiere4

Only problem is you cannot delete the item on the TivoHD, unless you actually go to the TivoHD unlike premiere to premiere searching.

Quote Originally Posted by philhu View Post
    Only problem is you cannot delete the item on the TivoHD, unless you actually go to the TivoHD unlike premiere to premiere searching.
    If it's not set to keep until I delete it should take care of itself...

Quote Originally Posted by philhu View Post
    Or you can run xfer_delete.tcl on the THD. This will move the show to the deleted folder once the show transfers successfully.

Quote Originally Posted by jkozee View Post
    Or you can run xfer_delete.tcl on the THD. This will move the show to the deleted folder once the show transfers successfully.
    jkozee... So, you run this once and it stays active until a reboot?
    Dave
    Activity on forum is light. Need hardware help? I can supply preprogrammed proms: $10: 12 sold as of 8/2015. Email if interested. Don't check PM's very often any more.

Dave20042004,

Yes, it is intended to be left running. I just looked at the notes, and it still mentions running the script from test.conf, which was appropriate for the C versio, but not for the tcl version. I run it by creating a custom file (/etc/rc.d/StageF_ApplicationLaunch/rc.Sequence_250.CustomHacks.sh), with the following:
    Code:
    #############################################################################
    #
    #   Custom Hacks that we want run immediately after the tivoapp is running
    #
    #############################################################################

#++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    # Start the delete when transfer completes program
    #++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    if [ -f /hack/bin/xfer_delete.tcl ]
      then
            /hack/bin/xfer_delete.tcl -l
    fi
    Last edited by jkozee; 03-01-2013 at 01:01 AM.

Hmmm, looks like I may have introduced a bug in the version 1.5 update. I'll take a look and update the release accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by jkozee View Post
    Hmmmmm

I didn't know or forgot about xfer_delete.tcl. Cool. I'll have to read up on other hacks for THD.

I have updated xfer_delete.tcl to fix the bug that was introduced in version 1.5

I read that it is not possible to use a 2TB HD in a Series 3 Model TCD652160
    I read that 1TB HD are the way to go.
    Do u have a specific model and type of HD that I should use ?

Quote Originally Posted by rabi View Post
    I read that it is not possible to use a 2TB HD in a Series 3 Model TCD652160
    I read that 1TB HD are the way to go.
    Do u have a specific model and type of HD that I should use ?
    As long as you're running version 11.0k or the recently released 11.0m, you can run a 2TB in any of the three Series 3 platform models.

I like the WD20EURS.

Especially when newegg or Amazon have them on sale for under $100.

It's more complicated than just taking out the old drive and putting in the new one though.

You'll need a PC running Windows XP or later, and the program WinMFS, and you'll need a way to hook the current drive in that 652 and the new drive to the PC, preferably at the same time.

If you answer, I'll tell you the details.
    Too busy TiVo wrangling to watch television anymore.