Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone in the Los Angeles area?

Anyone in the Los Angeles area?

I've read and read, and I'm pretty lost still.

If there's anyone in the L.A. area who would be willing to offer me a tutorial, I'm happy to pay for it. I just need someone to show me the ropes, so I can get started.

Again, I'm happy to pay for a TiVo Tutor. Please PM me if you're interested. And thanks in advance.

-A

Oh, come on. I'm not the brightest, admittedly, but I'm a quick study. I'll bake cookies. I'll do what I gotta do, I just need one lesson to get going! Someone! Anyone!

A tutorial for what? On what platform?
    Having trouble with TyTool? Try TyTool Documentation
    Need to hack an S3 / THD? Try S3 Hacking Script

On getting my S3 cracked. On whatever platform you suggest. I have an old Dell. I'll install a new OS, I'll do whatever it takes. I just need a push to get me going.

"cracked"? Please elaborate.
    Steve

Happy to explain. I meant "hacked" and, apparently, mistyped. I've read the tutorials, but it seems a little daunting. I'm hopeful someone will walk me through it - ONCE - and I'll get the hang of it. No big deal. I'm not my mother, I promise not to bug, but, having said that, the cookies stand.

Well, the first thing you need to do is get the PROM on the mainboard "modded". It's not something you can be walked through - it requires specific equipment and expertise. Start reading at http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...-Hacking-an-S3 You probably also want to look at http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...M-Modification
    Steve

Sorry, SteveL. I have already modded my PROM (much thanks to the Omikron service). I would love to find someone to walk me through the next few Linux steps. That's it. Anybody? Little help?

Quote Originally Posted by milder View Post
    Sorry, SteveL. I have already modded my PROM (much thanks to the Omikron service). I would love to find someone to walk me through the next few Linux steps. That's it. Anybody? Little help?
    Follow the link in my signature. Read through the scripts. They outline all the basic steps. If you want to use them directly, load a copy of Debian "Squeeze" Linux on a machine and download all the pertinent files listed in that post. If you have problems with any of that, ask. My time is extremely limited at the moment, but I will try to check the forum every few days.

Edit: I have a few moments to elaborate a bit, so I will. After that, I really suggest you take this to this thread, one post of which is linked in my signature. Read through the entire thread, and then come back to the post with the scripts. That post has links to every external file you will need for a basic hack, plus some examples of hack tarballs and a sample hack configuration. Go to the Debian Website and download one of the netinst CDs or DVD imagess. Burn that image to a disk, and insert it in a computer that has some un-partitioned hard drive space (15G or so should do) and a spare SATA port, and boot the computer. Answer the questions, and I suggest you set up a desktop environment (check the box next to "Desktop Environment" when it brings up the list), but you should not need any servers. After about 45 minutes, you shoud have a working Linux system. Boot into Linux, open a browser, and make sure you can reach the link in my sig. Create a directory named /hack, and point the download settings in the browser to /hack. Follow the links in the aforementioned post, and download all the files to /hack. Some of the archives have extra files, have the files in subdirectories, or have them under different names than in the script. These issues will need to be resolved on way or the other. Once all the files are named properly (per what the script is expecting), shut down the PC, attach the TiVo hard drive to be hacked, and boot the PC. Once booted, simply run the main script.
    Last edited by lrhorer; 02-07-2013 at 03:58 AM.
    Having trouble with TyTool? Try TyTool Documentation
    Need to hack an S3 / THD? Try S3 Hacking Script

Irhorer, thank you so much. I've been a little busy, but I finally borrowed a computer and I'm in the process of installing Debian.

Question to all: I'm afraid my current TiVo drive is corrupted. It reboots unexpectedly and frequently. If I want to start with a "blank" or "new" TiVo drive, how do I bless a new drive?

Thanks in advance!

Oh, I have one other uber-Noob question: I'm trying to create /hack, but I'm told I don't have permission to do that. I've joined every group, including root, which owns the / file system. Is there a trick I don't know? Sorry!

Did you remount the partition rw?
    Steve

Steve, I simply don't know what that means. I got me a nice clean drive and installed Debian.

Quote Originally Posted by milder View Post
    Steve, I simply don't know what that means. I got me a nice clean drive and installed Debian.
    He's asking if you ran a command like this:
    # mount -o remount,rw /

Anyway, I'd suggest you look over the manual commands to understand what you are about to do. Look over the top of this page for details:

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...g-an-S3/page16

Lots of good stuff from lrhorer

Dave
    Activity on forum is light. Need hardware help? I can supply preprogrammed proms: $10: 12 sold as of 8/2015. Email if interested. Don't check PM's very often any more.

My comment assumed you were doing these commands on the TiVo itself. It doesn't apply if you've mounted the drive on another Linux system.
    Steve