Thread: tivo hd with green blinking light

tivo hd with green blinking light

I have a tivo hd that is about 4 years old. The screen was showing part of the tivo sceen and part of the live show and was generally unresponsive. I power cycled and now the tivo turns on and has the green light blinking but nothing else. I can hear the hd spin and I can feel the fan blowing slowly but nothing else happens. I have unplugged everything from the back and left it unplugged for about 10 minutes and when I plugged it in no chanbge. I have it upgraded to a 1tb drive. No problems like this before.

rkshack
    hdr612 hacked to 128hrs
    hdr312 not hacked

Quote Originally Posted by rkshack View Post
    I have a tivo hd that is about 4 years old. The screen was showing part of the tivo sceen and part of the live show and was generally unresponsive. I power cycled and now the tivo turns on and has the green led lights blinking but nothing else. I can hear the hd spin and I can feel the fan blowing slowly but nothing else happens. I have unplugged everything from the back and left it unplugged for about 10 minutes and when I plugged it in no chanbge. I have it upgraded to a 1tb drive. No problems like this before.

rkshack
    Seems like major fault ask an expert person to check it.. You might not find solution here
    Last edited by EarnestKim; 07-03-2013 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rkshack View Post
    I have a tivo hd that is about 4 years old. The screen was showing part of the tivo sceen and part of the live show and was generally unresponsive. I power cycled and now the tivo turns on and has the green light blinking but nothing else. I can hear the hd spin and I can feel the fan blowing slowly but nothing else happens. I have unplugged everything from the back and left it unplugged for about 10 minutes and when I plugged it in no chanbge. I have it upgraded to a 1tb drive. No problems like this before.

rkshack
    I'm not sure about the TiVo HD, but a number of the other TiVos have had problems from bad caps in the power supply. The timing is right, and the symptoms you describe match.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Yes, your power supply has gone bad. And yes the TivoHD had the capacitor problems.

You can solder in new capacitors or go to Weaknees and get a new power supply for $89 and plug it in
    I am about to get the new power supply. I have wanted to fix mine for weeks, but cannot find the time.

I am fixing mine because it is a 'hacked' unit and has lifetime, so well worth the $89 to fix it.

89 dollars good lord I can fix these things for like a buck yes a dollar

Quote Originally Posted by darrin75 View Post
    89 dollars good lord I can fix these things for like a buck yes a dollar
    Cool. Start a service! I'd pay you $5. I looked at the capacitor list, they cost $7

For future searchers, as you can eventually see in this thread

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=510436

that flashing green light is the CPU signalling a motherboard fault.
    Too busy TiVo wrangling to watch television anymore.

Actually, I've observed flashing green to refer to many types of faults. Everything from a sub-optimal connection to the PROM on a socketed unit to PSU failures.

Based off of the age of the unit, and the fact that it's stock, I figure it's likely a PSU issue, although a motherboard issue can't be ruled out 100%.
    .-=Omikron=-.

TiVo Series4 Premiere Development HERE

Do you have a PROM related question? Check HERE and HERE before sending me a PM. Any questions that have already been answered will be deleted if sent via PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Omikron View Post
    Actually, I've observed flashing green to refer to many types of faults.
    I'd pay $50 (including shipping back) to have someone as good as you do a complete capacitor replacement on the S3 and HD power supplies. No guarantees, just replace them and see what happens. Say $25 if it's a unit for which you're already doing the prom mod (since you've already got it open on the bench and are committed to return shipping anyway). On the Tivo s3 I'm sending you now I replaced a few of the obviously bulging ones and it then worked fine. But the soldering is ham-handed.

There are people in this world who enjoy board-level work and are usually pretty good at it. Then people like me who can be OK, but find it an unpleasant chore and are (probably because of that) tentative, sloppy. You I regard as a master.

Anyway, consider offering the service.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dylan View Post
    I'd pay $50 (including shipping back) to have someone as good as you do a complete capacitor replacement on the S3 and HD power supplies. No guarantees, just replace them and see what happens. Say $25 if it's a unit for which you're already doing the prom mod (since you've already got it open on the bench and are committed to return shipping anyway). On the Tivo s3 I'm sending you now I replaced a few of the obviously bulging ones and it then worked fine. But the soldering is ham-handed.

There are people in this world who enjoy board-level work and are usually pretty good at it. Then people like me who can be OK, but find it an unpleasant chore and are (probably because of that) tentative, sloppy. You I regard as a master.

Anyway, consider offering the service.
    I can't tell if you're joking or not...

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...Repair-Service

I've been doing that for almost two years. :-P

In the many, many PSU's I've fixed, I only ran into one where replacing the caps didn't work, and that's because it had a bad transformer and a few bad transistors as well.
    .-=Omikron=-.

TiVo Series4 Premiere Development HERE

Do you have a PROM related question? Check HERE and HERE before sending me a PM. Any questions that have already been answered will be deleted if sent via PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Omikron View Post
    Actually, I've observed flashing green to refer to many types of faults. Everything from a sub-optimal connection to the PROM on a socketed unit to PSU failures.

Based off of the age of the unit, and the fact that it's stock, I figure it's likely a PSU issue, although a motherboard issue can't be ruled out 100%.
    Swapping in a known good power supply makes no difference.

Although as noted in the thread at TCF, by the time that 658 made it's way across the country to me, the blinking had quit.

When you plug it in, you get a mess instead of a picture, but by hooking it up to an old $25 drug store special B&W of the type that was handy to have here in hurricane-land before the digital OTA switchover, and by fiddling with the vertical hold, you can see the "welcome" screen, only with the horizontal also severely out of whack, so that you've got 2 or 3 overlapping instances of the lettering, so something is buggering the sync pulses, but I don't yet know what or why or how badly.

The hard drive passed WD's long test, but judging by what MFS Live and WinMFS have to say, it wasn't properly divorced from an external.

So I'm going to try another 658 image I've got that was tested to the extent of getting to boot as far as the THX graphiic in a 652, and put it on a different drive, and see if I've still got a working analog TV with externally accessible horizontal controls, and see if I can see if it boots successfully or not except for the video output problem.

Then all I've got to do is figure out how to run it through Guided Setup and then use it as a couple of spare lifetimed tuners without being able to see the video output in the usual way.
    Too busy TiVo wrangling to watch television anymore.

Like the original poster my Tivo is around 4 years old, upgraded to a 1tb drive.

Indeed, the flashing light may be referred/observed as being many types of faults... BUT I thought I'd share some information in case this one day helps someone as this is the second time it has happened to us in the last 3 years. (I'd forgotten about the first time it occurred back 3 years ago, but since this is the second time I did troubleshoot the same way, it all came back to me), so sharing and created an account on this forum just to post this...

The reboot pending (as a software update has occurred) is what can be found on the official (Australian) page that validates that reboot information.

BUT on other forums some say the green light flashing CAN be due to other issues than a reboot pending, AND others say it is the motherboard that is fried, and some the power supply/capacitors that are cooked. So it is hard to ascertain what can be wrong.

I solved the issue on 2 separate occasions with the simplest (silly) thing although it took me 4 days to realize the steps that worked.

In our case the issue occurred after a power outage: Tivo did not reboot when the electricity came back, and started for hours. So I decided to unplug and re-plug. Did this several times. Nothing worked, so I left it for 4 days hoping there was some kind of hard drive check for errors happening in the background, - and some magic would revive it - and that it may be normal after a reboot/power failure, and the longer we waited the better. Nothing. After 4 days and not much being resolved, I did unplug again from the wall socket and plugged back hoping the supposedly "disk scan" may have triggered something. Nothing.

Decided to bite the bullet hand have it send away for repair.

Donít ask me why, got no way of explaining this, but it truly worked (and this is the second time in 3 years), before packing it as I was unplugging all the cables from the unit, I decided to one last time plug the power: no more green lights flashing !

As simple as this, not sure how it works, if there is a security mechanism after a power outage but in our case what saved the day was to unplug all cables (even the antenna, all video and audio cables: ALL/EVERYTHING!), and just plug back the power only. Worked straight away, no more flashing. Then plugged the remaining cables, switched TV on : all good and working.

Hope it helps someone, and it my work for you too.