Thread: playback and backup tivo hd on linux

playback and backup tivo hd on linux

Hi guys, I have a tivo premium 4 and I would like to know how I can read my tivo hard disk on linux so that I could playback and backup the recorded videos on linux.
    Thank you

You can't do that. The recordings are encrypted. You would have to modify the TiVo to disable encryption. As far as I know, that's not known to be possible on a Premiere.

You may be able to use TiVoToGo support to move recordings to a PC and convert them there - I don't have a TiVo where that works so I don't know the details.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stevel View Post
    You can't do that. The recordings are encrypted. You would have to modify the TiVo to disable encryption. As far as I know, that's not known to be possible on a Premiere.

You may be able to use TiVoToGo support to move recordings to a PC and convert them there - I don't have a TiVo where that works so I don't know the details.
    Two more questions pls:

1) Is it possible to do it on previous tivo ? Like Tivo 3 ?

2) Also , why if the recordings are encrypted , I was able to backup the entire hard disk into a 2tb one to expand the tivo premiere recording capacities ?
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by marcolisi View Post
    Two more questions pls:

1) Is it possible to do it on previous tivo ? Like Tivo 3 ?
    Yes, after one replaces the PROM with a hacked PROM.

Quote Originally Posted by marcolisi View Post
    2) Also , why if the recordings are encrypted , I was able to backup the entire hard disk into a 2tb one to expand the tivo premiere recording capacities ?
    Thank you
    Because you did not alter the data, and used the same device to read it afterwards.
    Having trouble with TyTool? Try TyTool Documentation
    Need to hack an S3 / THD? Try S3 Hacking Script