Thread: DirecTV HR20-700 DVR with 14-905 Error

DirecTV HR20-700 DVR with 14-905 Error

I have a HR20-700 DVR that I upgraded with a 1.5TB drive a few years ago. Has worked well until recently, now I get the 14-905 error, and can't boot the receiver up at all. Even if I get to the diagnostic menu and try to run a Surface Test, it eventually stops and gets the 14-905 error code. Unfortunately, I sold off the old 320Gb drive I had that I pulled from the HR20-700.

At this point, I don't much care about the programs on the drive, I figure it's (and they are) toast anyway. Am just wondering can I grab a Seagate 500-750Gb DB35 drive and put it in there to replace the 1.5TB drive that's dead, and be able to get the receiver working again as a backup? Don't want to try to initialize or partition the drive on a PC, just want to know if I can put a blank new drive in there and will the HR20-700 format it to the point that the receiver tuner, and perhaps the DVR will work again.

If not, I'll just retire it and get DirecTV to stop charging me for the 2nd receiver! Thanks for any help / advice.

Yes, you can do that. The HR20 will format the drive and download the firmware from the satellite.
    Steve