Thread: Series 3 , recorded shows transfer time

Series 3 , recorded shows transfer time

Hi guys, I noticed that my tivo series 3 Ethernet transfer time is longer than the more modern tivo premier Ethernet transfer time.
    Is that normal ?
    Maybe the premiere series has a faster Ethernet card/adapter.
    If so, is it possible for me to remove the tivo s3 ethernet card and replaced it with the premiere series ethernet card ? (hardware switch)

Will this device :

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Wireless...less&cp=1&lp=2

increase the speed of my tivo series 3 for transferring files at the same speed as my tivo premiere ?

Thank you

ps:

I am using Tivo desktop and/or kmttg to transfer files from series 3 to pc. I was using these tools on the premiere too to transfer to pc.
    Last edited by marcolisi; 09-15-2013 at 01:08 PM.

The TiVos don't have an Ethernet "card" - the Ethernet adapter is part of the motherboard. I would be astonished if the Ethernet hardware was the bottleneck for you. More likely it's that the newer box has a faster CPU.
    Steve

You might see some from benefit from using a wired USB gigabit network adapter, but only if your computer, router, and switch are all gigabit.
    More software at http://davidlauria.com/software.
    The lost alt-rock masterpiece from the '90s, Range of Motion's "Soft Buzz of Silence", is now available on iTunes!

Thank you for the reply !

Stevel:

I thought that adding the TiVo® - Wireless-G USB Network adapter to the USB port, would mean bypassing the on board ethernet adapter....hence getting faster transfers .

djl:

I have a Netgear G router with a Netgear G Usb wireless card for my pc that go up to 300Mbps

My guess is that if I buy the tivo usb adapter I said before, I may get downloads as fast as before...am I wrong ?

Thank you

Yes, a USB wireless adapter would bypass the Ethernet, but you would need TiVo's adapter - I don't think a generic one will work. I also doubt it will help you.
    Steve

I bought this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Wireless...less&cp=1&lp=2

It is still superslow ..... to transfer 5GB , it takes 1h and 28m ...

Possible that S3 user are stuck with these slow speeds ?
    Is there any solution ?

Would this way work ?

http://www.nltivo.net/index.php/InstallMfsFtp

thank you
    Last edited by marcolisi; 09-16-2013 at 11:13 PM.

Wireless will almost certainly be slower than wired.

This thread on TCF indicates that 12Mbps is the expected TTG series3=>pc transfer rate with wired networking: (see the section titled "How fast can I download TiVo recordings to my computer?"). That works out to about 5GB/hour. Wireless will be slower.

One bottleneck is that "transport stream" to "program stream" remuxing that occurs. Newer units (Preimere & maybe Romio) support transport stream transfers that bypass this conversion, but I don't think that is available on the Series3. See this link for kmttg details.

mfs_ftp (or better yet, tyftpd) transfers the raw data directly, so they avoid the on-box remuxing. This will only be useful on a hacked tivo, and if your recordings are unencrypted. You'll need a tool to convert raw ty to mpg on the PC side.

If you really want to make it faster, you can use a gige usb wired adapter and enable jumbo frames on your network. This is a lot of hoops to jump through though. There are threads around here that cover the topic if you really want to go that way. I don't think it is worth the trouble for most users.

They also say you can turn the tuners to non-reception channels to reduce their load on the processor but I've yet to consider my transfer times a problem so never tried. The TivoHD will never match the transfer speed of a Premier, who would have bought a Premier if the TivoHD had the same performance???