Thread: Expand / replace Hard Disk in PROM tivo Series 3 DVR 160GB Model TCD652160

Expand / replace Hard Disk in PROM tivo Series 3 DVR 160GB Model TCD652160

Hi guys, with my old tivo HD premiere I was able to clone the original hard disk to a 2TB hard disk.

I read that it is not possible to use a 2TB HD in a Series 3 Model TCD652160
    I read that 1TB HD are the way to go.
    Do u have a specific model and type of HD that I should use ?

I was looking at this one

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...eelydownloa-20

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ok_AV_DVR.html

Would it work as external HD ?

Thank you
    Last edited by marcolisi; 09-16-2013 at 12:17 AM.

This hard disk below worked great ! :-)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ok_AV_DVR.html
    Last edited by marcolisi; 09-16-2013 at 08:16 PM.

I've had good luck going with the cheapest drive. The last two years I've had a 2tb seagate in my TivoHD. Before that it was a Maxtor. Never an AV, just whatever was cheapest.

Quote Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
    I've had good luck going with the cheapest drive. The last two years I've had a 2tb seagate in my TivoHD. Before that it was a Maxtor. Never an AV, just whatever was cheapest.
    When u you TivoHD , do u mean the s3 like the one I have ?
    Thank u

Quote Originally Posted by marcolisi View Post
    When u you TivoHD , do u mean the s3 like the one I have ?
    Thank u
    Yes, I have a Series 3 Model TCD652160 with a 2TB. The guy whose scripts helped you hack yours has several with 2TB drives.

Quote Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
    Yes, I have a Series 3 Model TCD652160 with a 2TB. The guy whose scripts helped you hack yours has several with 2TB drives.
    Which model # and brand of 2TB hard disk u have ?
    Thank you

I also have a 2TB drive in a TiVo HD. My understanding is that you must use a drive with 512 byte sectors, and not 4KB sectors (also known as "advanced format" drives). Unfortunately, some, possibly most current production 2 TB drives have 4KB sectors. "AV" specialized drives most likely will have 512 byte sectors.

It appears my hard drive is a Hitachi HDS5C3020ALA632 aka Deskstar 5K3000 2TB.

I obtained this information by logging into my TiVo and using the "hdparm -I /dev/hda" command, then unscrambling the output (which was "Model=iHathc iDH5S3C20A0AL36 2", every pair of characters needs to be reversed).

Looks like I have the same drive (Model=iHathc iDH5S3C20A0AL36 2). I didn't figure out the unscramble...

As long as any S3 (648, 652, 658) is running at least ver. 11.0k of the TiVo software, you can use WinMFS to put a 2TB drive in it.

I recommend the WD20EURS.

The more recently manufactured ones shouldn't need Intellipark disabled, but I've been in touch with someone who did have to do that on some from 2011.

You use WinMFS to copy from the previous drive to the new drive or to restore an image to the new drive, and then when it says you have extra space and asks if you want to expand you tell it no.

After that I recommend selecting the new drive (if you had the old one selected prior to the copy) and clicking on mfsinfo just to make sure everything's okay.

If you restored an image older than 11.0k, you should go ahead and put it in the TiVo and let it "phone home" and get updated.

The latest version is 11.0m, which as I understand it is just 11.0k with last February's "expired cookie" problem fixed.

Then in a step separate from the copy or restore, you click mfsadd (in WinMFS), and when it warns you about going over 1.2TB on a single partition, tell it to do it anyway, and it'll add or expand the 3rd MFS pair, and you're done.

Why does expansion have to be done in a separate step?

I do not know.

If you just accept the offer to expand at the end of the copy or restore, apparently it appears to have expanded but actually hasn't, for whatever reason.
    Too busy TiVo wrangling to watch television anymore.