Thread: Series 2 weird issue with sat 1+ 2 not working but ok individually

Series 2 weird issue with sat 1+ 2 not working but ok individually

I have 2 DTV HDVR2 Tivo receivers hooked up to DirecTV, valid account and all that but I have the weirdest problem... if I run 1 cable from the LNB to either sat 1 or sat 2, it works fine. But if I run 2 cables, the sat 2 line is intermittent and doesn't work. I can swap cables 1 and 2 as single cables and they work fine, but when I put both in the DVR, the sat 2 signal gives me problems. I even tried this with a second HDVR2 receiver and the same thing happened. Anyone know what the problem is? I don't have a grounding block on the cables - they're going straight from the sat dish to the DVR. I can't figure out what's wrong.

I have seen many reports of similar problems with this generation of DTiVo. If I recall correctly, it's a power supply issue.
    Steve

Any advice on how to deal with it? Is it something like a capacitor that can be changed? I'm pretty handy with electronics if I have an idea of the cause.

This looks to be something related to my issue:

http://www.wkforums.com/forums/showt...elation-issues

In my case, switching to composite doesn't help.

Nobody seems to have definitively figured it out but indications are that something on the power supply fails. The question is, which are the "filter caps for sat 1 and 2" on the power supply board? Are these the 2200uf cap? Has anyone replaced the larger 820uf 2000v cap and seen the issue go away? My PS works but is obviously starting to fail and I cannot find any caps that look specifically bad so I'd like to only try to replace what is in the signal path where the problems are (mainly because all this mess is hot-glued into the circuit board and I want to minimize hurting any nearby components trying to remove the hot glue).

more investigation reveals nobody really knows the solution to this problem and it may not be the power supply:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...53#post6521453
    Last edited by Mitch; 10-27-2013 at 04:43 PM.

One of the first occurrences of "capacitor plague" in TiVos was one of the DirecTiVo models (an S2 of some sort, as I recall) where one tuner worked and the other one didn't, but the cause was a cap under the heat sink overhang on the power supply board.

However, I also read something somewhere about 2 or 3 years ago about replacing or add a cap on the mainboard somewhere in the area of the tuners and video chain, and I think it was a satellite TiVo and not a standalone about which they were talking, so a couple of days of uninterrupted Googling might turn it up.

If it had been non-satellite, I'd probably have paid a lot more attention and better remembered it.

I'm starting to suspect that S3s are having motherboard cap problems right about now, but they aren't considerate enough to visibly bulge, and even if they did they're Surface Mount Devices where you'd have to break the old one off to even see the solder pads, so I'm not sure it's within the capabilities of us home gamers, and I say that as someone who actually managed to move a crypto chip from one S2 DT to another.

There is much power supply cap replacement discussion over at TCF if one cares to join us.
    Too busy TiVo wrangling to watch television anymore.

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...857#post315857 look here for Tuner 2 capacitor problem ... and then look at the power supply caps. They are a constant problem.