Thread: can not access hard drive on tivo ct8620

can not access hard drive on tivo ct8620

Hi I am a newbi, and have searched the forum but to no a vale, I have moved from Virgin to sky but I still have old recording on my TiVo Cisco CT8620, was hoping someone can help me access the hard drive via Linux or windows PC please

the TiVo has a local IP address of 192.168.X.X but I can not access via web browser, I have also tried to get a bash prompt by using an old Linux Pc with puppy wary OS, but just says cannot connect, I can of course ping the TiVo, all I want to do is use the hard drive in the TiVo for storage and replay movies, can anyone please help, I am an IT engineer but not a TiVo expert like you guys.
    Thanks Tbond

There is no way to do that. The recordings are encrypted and there is no web access. All you can do is play the recordings and capture the output.
    Steve

Hi Steve, many thanks for the reply, and as you probably guest its not what I wanted to hear, it seems a shame, I can not use the TiVo for storage, I have been reading threads on people who managed to get a bash prompt but I don't think its the same model, No wonder Virgin said keep it, Well it does have a 500G hard drive so I could always format it, or If anyone one has any ideas what I can do with the CISCO CT8620 It would be greatly aprecaited

Quote Originally Posted by stevel View Post
    There is no way to do that. The recordings are encrypted and there is no web access. All you can do is play the recordings and capture the output.
    i agree with Steve, the recordings are encrypted.

not sure we are on the same page, are you saying I can't format the hard drive and use it for storage, forget any existing recording, I am just taking about, using the hard drive as storage, disappointed no one has suggestions for CISCO CT8620.
    I plan on stripping the hard drive and looking at the file structure, just one question do you know the type of encryption please

tbond, sorry I didn't see your posts sooner.

That Cisco thing is a strictly UK unit, so there's not a lot of familiarity with it here in the US.

Maybe you could get some more informed answers here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...splay.php?f=69

which is the Virgin Media UK specific thread at TCF.

I will go so far as to say that you may be mistaking the TiVo, a "computer-ish" appliance, for a computer.

If you want to pull the hard drive out of it and use it in a PC, I don't see any reason you couldn't, but if you want to leave it in the unit and try to use the unit as a sort of PC, that's not going to happen unless you steal all the proprietary design specs and source code from TiVo.

Some of the TiVo software is Linux based, but what makes it a TiVo is proprietary stuff they wrote themselves and they do not share it.
    Too busy TiVo wrangling to watch television anymore.

Many thanks I will look into the useful links, I think I will take the hard drive out and format it, what to do with the box, is a shame, I thought I could it as a NAS, but like you say I have mistaked this TiVO as the same as the USA TiVO, If I can help you with anything let me know

Quote Originally Posted by tbond View Post
    Many thanks I will look into the useful links, I think I will take the hard drive out and format it, what to do with the box, is a shame, I thought I could it as a NAS, but like you say I have mistaked this TiVO as the same as the USA TiVO, If I can help you with anything let me know
    The TiVos made for the American market are no more usable for what you had in mind than the ones made for Virgin Media.

I'm not sure what you'd use for a password, but try

https://192.168.X.X

and see what you get.
    Too busy TiVo wrangling to watch television anymore.