Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help Upgrading to 11.0m

Need Help Upgrading to 11.0m

I have a hacked TivoHD running 11.0k. I rarely use the internet based features like youtube from the Tivo and just noticed that some don't work. From looking through the logs it appears to be the SSL based services, and I'm guessing its an expired certificate.

At any rate, from checking this forum the fix is to upgrade to 11.0m. Its been so long since I've hacked on the Tivo that I'm more than a little rusty, so please indulge me.

First of all I have to induce it to actually pick up the upgrade. The best I can remember is this is being supressed by a boot parameter. Can I force a one time upgrade without changing the boot parameter.

Next, I don't want it to actually boot the new release. I want to make the changes on the new partition from the telnet/shell session on the current. Is that just a matter of commenting out reboot in Installsw.tcl?

Finally, I'm trying to remember the necessary changes. There is the patching of tivosh (I found a link for that for 11.0m) and adding rc.sysinit.author (and any extras it invokes). Is there anything else?

Chances are you have the upgrade if you have a legally subscribed Tivo since it was released months ago. See if your status says pending restart. I used these scripts to upgrade mine but had to make a few changes to match my setup. Mike also has an upgrade script which these are based on. You may want to look for his instead.

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...141#post317141

Yes, I am legally subscribed and status does shows "3 Account in good Standing" not waiting for reboot. It certainly has been rebooted many times since the update was released.

Before I bury the lead with some issues, I am in need of the correct killinitrd (mips) for HD3 . Any pointers?

At any rate I ran installSw.itcl by hand and it did in fact find the upgrade but failed late in its execution:

./installSw.itcl: Executing updateroot /dev/hda /install /var/packages 11.0m-01-2-652
    Path prefix is /var/utils/
    Sha1hash passed for updatekernel
    Sha1hash passed for checkkernel.tcl
    Sha1hash passed for messagelib.tcl
    Sha1hash passed for buildskeleton
    Sha1hash passed for SwInstall.tcl
    Sha1hash passed for builddev

Searching /etc/fstab for current root

Old root is on /dev/hda4, new one goes on /dev/hda7

Creating new filesystem on /dev/hda7

Mounting new root filesystem on /install

Installing module core
    Installing module hpk-Gen06
    Installing module locale-en_US
    Installing module eiger
    Installing module kernel-Gen06
    Building basic filesystem skeleton on /install

Checking /install/etc/fstab

newroot is 7, copying fstab from fstab.alternate
    Creating symlinks for /install/etc files
    /bin/ln: /install/etc/mtab: File exists
    while executing
    "exec /bin/ln -s /var/mtab $installdir/etc/mtab"
    (file "/var/utils/updateroot" line 164)
    child process exited abnormally
    while executing
    "exec /var/utils/updateroot /dev/hda /install /var/packages $name >&@ stdout"
    invoked from within
    "if [catch { set fIsActive [CheckActive $db $name] } res] {
    putlog "No software found in db for \"$name\", $res"
    } else {
    if { $eme..."
    (procedure "InstallSoftware" line 7)
    invoked from within
    "InstallSoftware $db $name"
    (file "./installSw.itcl" line 119)

It failed trying to install the links for mtab and resolv.conf that for some reason already existed.
    This was at line 164 of updateroot. Whats left is an unmount, a fsck, Initializing First Activation Date and flipping the root with bootpage. I guess I can try to do these myself (is the Activation Date necessary?).

All thats left in the invoking script is installSw.itcl is Setactive, which I could also try to do myself.

Any ideas why the ln's were already there on the install partition. Will it work just to run installSw.itcl again or does it only work once?

Sorry for the noise in the last posting. I had forgotten that I had the alternate root mounted, which is why the install failed when it noticed the existing links. It worked now.

I still need a killinitrd (mips) suitable for an HD3 running 2.4.20. I keep finding references to series 2 and intel versions for use with removing the drive. Can you point me to the correct killinitrd mips binary?
    Last edited by kmt; 12-31-2013 at 01:22 PM.

Most people use replace_initrd (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...trd-mips-linux) to replace the initrd with a tiny inert replacement (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...rd-replacement).

It would probably also be fine to just keep using your current kernel, which you must have already hacked. I doubt that much has changed in the kernel between 11.0k and 11.0m.

--Jamie

Thanks for the pointer to replace_initrd. The tar file has null-linuxrc.img.gz in it. Is there any reason to use the replacement in the second url instead of the one that comes with replace_initrd?

Sorry, I didn't look inside the archive. I'm sure the one packaged with replace_initrd is fine.

--Jamie

Thanks a lot for the help! I'm now running 11m with my hacks, and expect I won't need a refresher if there ever is another upgrade. I actually was good at this during the days that there were periodic updates.

Off topic. Do you think there will ever be a prom for the newer hardware? I'm jealous whenever I read the new announcements.

From reading the threads in the development fora, I doubt it's going to happen. TiVo has locked things down so tight now that old-school hacking on them seems impossible. Which is confusing to me, as also reading in a thread someone commented that "not many people" were using S3's any more. If those are the last hackable units, then did people just give in and start running the newer units unhacked? It also seems that development/refinement has stalled on several fronts for the older hackable units, so perhaps those days are simply over with, which would be a shame.

I think that most of us seasoned TiVo owners who have a desire to hack their TiVos have simply kept them. I know I have. The number of seasoned owners who formerly had no desire to hack their TiVos but now do is comparatively small - mostly those whose CATV providers have tightened up on the CCI byte. Most new TiVo owners just don't know any better, and probably never will. Those few who do find out about hacking are frustrated by the fact they bought a Premiere or Roamio, but are unwilling to dump the investment.
    Having trouble with TyTool? Try TyTool Documentation
    Need to hack an S3 / THD? Try S3 Hacking Script

I have a Series 3 and a TiVo HD which haven't upgraded to m yet. Any ideas on forcing an upgrade. I have restarted both units several times over the last few months with no upgrade.

Thanks,

BB

Very timely question. I just updated mine a few minutes ago. Good luck.

Manually updating TIVO to the next software release via telnet

1. Check the location of your current root
    bootpage -p /dev/hda

My output is: root=/dev/hda4 dsscon=true console=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false
    So we know the 3/4 partitions are my active kernel/root filesystem and 6/7 are the alternate partitions

2. Find out what software Tivo has ready

echo mls /SwSystem | tivosh

Directory of /SwSystem starting at ''

Name Type FsId Date Time Size
    ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----
    11.0k-01-2-652 tyDb 661519 03/03/11 07:08 908
    11.0m-01-2-652 tyDb 954158 10/21/13 01:41 884
    ACTIVE tyDb 661519 03/03/11 07:08 908

3. Edit /tvbin/installSw.itcl script: (use FileZilla to IP address: U/N=a, P/W=a, Port 21)

Look for this section

# Say goodbye
    putlog "Attempting reboot..."
    reboot

You want to replace the 'reboot' command with 'exit 0' - so it should read:

# Say goodbye
    putlog "Attempting reboot..."
    exit 0

Now, Tivo won't automatically reboot once it completes the software upgrade, giving you time to re-install your hacks.

Mount the TIVO drive to allow write access and ftp modified installSw.itcl to /tvbin/installSw.itcl
    mount -o remount,rw /
    ftp modified installSw.itcl to /tvbin/installSw.itcl

4. Install the upgrade, providing the release-name you want to install.

/tvbin/installSw.itcl 11.0m-01-2-652

This will place the new kernel and root filesystem in the alternate partitions (6/7)
    It will also flip your bootpage but should leave your other parameters unchanged.

Check it again:
    bootpage -p /dev/hda
    Now output is: root=/dev/hda7 dsscon=true consol=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false

5. dd the killhdinitrd 3.1.5 kernel into the NEW kernel partition (/dev/hda6) overwriting the current Tivo-installed kernel. Since a killhdinitrd kernel still exists at /dev/hda3, simply overwrite /dev/hda6 with /dev/hda3 as follows:

dd if=/dev/hda6 of=/dev/hda3 or dd if=/dev/hda3 of=/dev/hda6

or place the correct kernel in /var and: dd if=/var/vmlinux7.px of=/dev/hda3

6. Tivo should still have root mounted at /dev/hda4; mount the NEW root filesystem

mount /dev/hda4 /mnt or mount /dev/hda7 /mnt

Copy over your rc.sysinit.author, your "fixed" iptables and any other hacks from the old root filesystem to the new.

cp /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author /mnt/etc/rc.d
    chmod 755 /mnt/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author
    cp /sbin/iptables /mnt/sbin
    mv /mnt/etc/netfilter-enable /mnt/etc/netfilter-enable.not
    cp /etc/bash_logout /mnt/etc/bash_logout
    cp /etc/profile /mnt/etc/profile
    cp –a /utils /mnt/utils
    umount /dev/hda4 /mnt or umount /dev/hda7 /mnt (not sure why is says not mounted but it does umount properly)
    reboot
    Activity on forum is light. Need hardware help? I can supply preprogrammed proms: $10: 12 sold as of 8/2015. Email if interested. Don't check PM's very often any more.

so when i check for my partition, the only output i get is:

root=/dev/hda4

when i check for active software i get the following response:

11.0k-01-2-652 tyDb 3123499 03/03/11 07:09 908
    ACTIVE tyDb 3123499 03/03/11 07:09 908

I assume this means that for whatever reason my tivos have not downloaded the 11.0m upgrade. i have never stopped upgrades on my boxes, just pulled the drives and rehacked as necessary.

any ideas on forcing a download of the new software?

thanks,

bb

Quote Originally Posted by Dave20042004 View Post
    umount /dev/hda4 /mnt or umount /dev/hda7 /mnt (not sure why is says not mounted but it does umount properly)
    umount normally takes a single argument - the directory you want to unmount. It may also work with the device that is mounted, but that's obsolete & won't work if that device is mounted in more than one location at the same time. In this example you're telling it to unmount BOTH /dev/hdaX and /mnt, so it does the last argument first & then complains when it tries to unmount the first argument as well. Just use: umount /mnt

-psxboy
    TCD652160 TivoHD
    1TB
    11.0n.J1-01-2-652

Quote Originally Posted by buccobruce View Post
    so when i check for my partition, the only output i get is:

root=/dev/hda4
    That's OK. If you don't know what the other items are, you probably shouldn't have them anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by buccobruce View Post
    when i check for active software i get the following response:

11.0k-01-2-652 tyDb 3123499 03/03/11 07:09 908
    ACTIVE tyDb 3123499 03/03/11 07:09 908

I assume this means that for whatever reason my tivos have not downloaded the 11.0m upgrade. i have never stopped upgrades on my boxes, just pulled the drives and rehacked as necessary.

any ideas on forcing a download of the new software?

thanks,

bb
    Idk, two or three connections usually is sufficient to obtain the upgrade in my experience. Probably have to elevate your question above me. Sorry,
    Dave
    Activity on forum is light. Need hardware help? I can supply preprogrammed proms: $10: 12 sold as of 8/2015. Email if interested. Don't check PM's very often any more.