Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Help Upgrading to 11.0m

Quote Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
    The number of seasoned owners who formerly had no desire to hack their TiVos but now do is comparatively small - mostly those whose CATV providers have tightened up on the CCI byte.
    I have three lifetime TiVos on Basic Cable and I don't use cable cards in any of them....never have. Even though the TiVo can pick up digital channels like ABC, NBC, CBS, NPR, TBN, etc. on 2.1, 4.1, 9.1, 9.2, 9.3 respectively, TiVo has no guide service for any of them. I have no antenna on my house nor am I close enough to pick up antenna stations (actually I've never tried). I configure my TiVo as if I am using my antenna (& cable) for these Clear QAM channels so I get the guide data. Hacking alows me to redirect the antenna guide data to the digital channels I receive on my cable. (See details elsewhere on this forum.) So TiVo received my lifetime subscription money and the cable company gets my monthly $25. I think its fair for all. You can't do this with a Premier or Romeo.
    Activity on forum is light. Need hardware help? I can supply preprogrammed proms: $10: 12 sold as of 8/2015. Email if interested. Don't check PM's very often any more.

That's not really relevant to my post. First of all, you are a single TiVo user, and the question to which I responded was concerning the total number of S3 owners who want to hack their units now. Secondly, you are in the minority of TiVo users in general, and certainly in the minority of TiVo users who want to hack their S3 TiVos. The main reason for wanting to hack an S3 TiVo is to allow transferring of protected videos, either by disabling encryption or by disabling the CCI byte for values less than 0x04. The number who wish to hack their TiVos solely for the additional features such as TiVoWebPlus is very small. As it happens, I am one of them, since my CATV provider does not force CCI > 0 for any of the channels for which I pay. OTOH, I am also in the small minority, and I am not new to hacking.

It is also far from fair to all. You are forcing me (and everyone else) to pay for your viewing, and I don't like it, not one bit at all, but that's a discussion that is far off-topic for this forum.
    Having trouble with TyTool? Try TyTool Documentation
    Need to hack an S3 / THD? Try S3 Hacking Script

Quote Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
    That's not really relevant to my post. First of all, you are a single TiVo user, and the question to which I responded was concerning the total number of S3 owners who want to hack their units now. Secondly, you are in the minority of TiVo users in general, and certainly in the minority of TiVo users who want to hack their S3 TiVos. The main reason for wanting to hack an S3 TiVo is to allow transferring of protected videos, either by disabling encryption or by disabling the CCI byte for values less than 0x04. The number who wish to hack their TiVos solely for the additional features such as TiVoWebPlus is very small. As it happens, I am one of them, since my CATV provider does not force CCI > 0 for any of the channels for which I pay. OTOH, I am also in the small minority, and I am not new to hacking.

It is also far from fair to all. You are forcing me (and everyone else) to pay for your viewing, and I don't like it, not one bit at all, but that's a discussion that is far off-topic for this forum.
    I'm not sure the controversy, my own reasons for hacking my S3 are (1) the fact that I can (2) to fix things like the ridiculous S03 error and (3) again because I can. I'm not running TWP and haven't spent the time to figure out the CCI byte.
    Last edited by ravingfans; 01-26-2014 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave20042004 View Post
    Very timely question. I just updated mine a few minutes ago. Good luck.

Manually updating TIVO to the next software release via telnet
    OMG, how much I've forgotten in 3.5 years since I last updated my Tivo HD. Thanks for the instructions, between this and Lrhorer's scripts, it only took me a day to get my Tivo updated. Six of those hours were spent with the Tivo applying the update and a couple more downloading the new guide. Thanks, again.

I think it's better to extract recordings via mfs_ftp than through TTG methods. That's why I have encryption disabled and now s3tots supports mpeg4 recordings. My Tivo HD also has runs ncid.