Thread: Using a PROM'ed TIVO as a network tuner?

Using a PROM'ed TIVO as a network tuner?

I have a problem, my cable company has decided to implement copy-once protection on nearly every channel except for the locals. As a result, I can't use a cablecard tuner to stream the content in the way I'd like.

No, I'm not looking to pirate record their stuff and sell it. Hell, if I wanted DRM-free programing I could just get it off Bit-Torrent. What I would like to do is have a network tuner that I can access from my computer (using whatever software I choose) or from my smartphone. I'd like to be able to transcode the content, so I could play it on my phone without wasting bandwidth. I'd like to archive the programs I really want to keep.

If the cable company did not have CCI set to copy once, I could happily buy an HD Homerun Prime and all would be good. But since they do, I am severely limited and forced to use WMC (ew! nasty!) as the only viewing platform!

Granted I *could* still do this by using a cable box, IR blaster and an HD capture PVR. I might end up doing that, but it's a clunky and inelegant way of doing it. Plus, you only get a single tuner to work with and there is loss due to capture and transcoding.

So... what about using a TIVO series 3 as a network tuner (DLNA or otherwise) that I could use as a TV tuner on my pc or smartphone or tablet?

I understand the PROM modification can be used to circumvent the CCI copy protection, at least for transfers, but what about as a live tuner?

I happen to have a TIVO series 3 I am not currently using. And yes, I know how to solder.

(and again: Not looking to steal content. Just a better way than using horrible DRM-complient software or the analog hole method)

I have a hacked TiVo HD. I have never been able to live stream to my PC from the HD. I have been able to stream with my hacked S1 TiVo, however it is flaky and obviously in SD.

bb

I don't think there's a good way to do this on a Series3 as the only access to the live stream (that I can recall) was to the files as written to disk. The "LiveCache recordings" are problematic as the tivo will jump to a new one every so often. I seem to recall that one could get the current livecache recording fsid, but there wasn't a good way to follow it to the next stream.

Tivo themselves didn't really add LiveTV streaming until just recently on the series4 and Series5 units (software 20.2.x, I believe). At first, it was a dedicated tuner, but as of the Fall 2013 update, the series4/5 units have had dynamic tuner allocation.

None of this probably helps very much unfortunately, but it might be possible to explore further on following the livecache recordings as they progress. I don't believe that anyone has used routerplus to sniff the tvbus messages to see if there's any useful info in there.