Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: ExtractStream and PlayStream failing on every sector in a DTivo

Does anyone know if DirecTivo capable of recording HD streams?

hd streams: in theory, it should be able to record whatever channel you can tune. that doesn't mean that it will be easy, or that it will be displayed by the tivo.

basically, the problems are getting the tivo to tune to and then record the hd channel, and making sure it doesnt barf when trying to display the hd content.

derivation left to reader...

Lightbulb HD Streams...

Or just keep it from trying to play it at all. If the goal is record and extract, it's worth a try.

Now, I remember seeing a reference to 'dt', but that's too short to search on. This is getting a little off this thread, though. If someone could steer me towards the dt thread, I'll go there.

-Z

Re: HD Streams...

Originally posted by lsmod
    Now, I remember seeing a reference to 'dt', but that's too short to search on. This is getting a little off this thread, though. If someone could steer me towards the dt thread, I'll go there.
    -Z
    It's the beginning of the monster locals thread... Here's the link.

I was able to get mfs_export from the web link posted a few messages back. I was able to extract two streams, onto an extra ext2 partion I put aside on the internal drive (long story but I just have ppp over serial for now, no tivo net yet) I'm coppying over the streams onto a stand alone (@128 kb/s) linux box and will try to process them later tonight. I'll post back here my results.
    Did I do that...

Question

Tivomon:

Anything to report? I'm still waiting for hardware, so I can't play yet.

(IOW: ^Bump^)

-Z:

Thumbs up

lsmod - is there anything in particular that you're wondering? mfs_extract has basically solved all of my extraction problems, so asides from the fact that it doesn't quite do the nice things ExtractStream does (split stream on the fly, concatenate chunks), it's basically fine...

DTivo Extraction

So you're having no problem converting streams that come from a DTivo?

I've been waiting to purchase a TivoNet/Adapter kit until I knew for sure that Extraction is working on DTivos...

Doh, sorry, forgot that I was in a DirecTivo forum. The extraction is working fine and properly creating ty files, something no other extractor has done for me so far (and what seems to be a typical problem on Directivos). However, I have a SA and don't know anything about the encryption or whatnot that may be going on with DTV streams (sorry for the confusion)...

logicTrAp:
    Thanks for the response, but like und420_247, I'm wondering about the DTiVo extraction.

UPS missed _again_ today... <sigh>

So much for hacking on it this weekend...

In any case, can someone confirm that mfs_extract produces usable streams on a DTiVo?

Thanks,
    Z

I've extracted two test streams, extracted each using mfs_export and ExtractStreamDx1 (so two diffrent extraction methods for each stream going to seprate output files). I used tystream v0.32 (windows version) to convert them into a mpeg stream and also slplit then into seprate video and audio streams. I had 0 sucess on each of the variations. I'm getting skiping chunk, I filddled with the various options and stil no luck I think I'll get the mpgtx utility and have it examine the extracted stream. Depending on the result we may need to revisit the extraction process or the tystream to mpeg process. Any suggestions or improvments to my process of looking at this ? Again I'm running a 2.0.1 on my DT-tivo so we should be getting into any encrypted tystreams if that theroy is acurate.
    Did I do that...

chances are the tystream format is different between the SA and the DTiVo.. take a gander at it in a hex editor and see if you can find anything resmbling structure every 144 bytes (or 188bytes on SA)

.. or send it to me.. PM me for how.. and I'll take a look

144? 204!

144 bytes? I don't know where that would come from in the MPEG world.

MPEG2 Transport packets normally 188 bytes, but are 204 bytes with CRC, which I'd expect to see coming off the bird.

I don't pretend to understand what a tyStream actually is, but most MPEG tools should be able to deal with both. If there's something hardcoded into one of these tools that expects 188, that might be the problem.

-Z

the 144 comes from the way dtv encodes their video. i believe its like 177 total, with something like 14 or 17 forward ecc bytes, and a few more bytes on the front end. DVB, which is used by digital cable and E*, uses the 188 i believe

Aha. Thanks for the enlightenment!

Figures that DTV would be non-standard. (Yes, I realize that DTV happened before MPEG2 was final.)

You're right that E* and Digital Cable use 188/204. It's quite common (as the SA's appear to do) to use 188 "internally" and the last device before the modulator adds the CRC.

If that's the case, then there's a tool to be written (or functionality added to tyc[onvert]) to get anywhere. BubbaJ is on to it...sounds like the packet size is wrong, and we need to do some conversion before _anything_ will recognize it as MPEG. I don't know enough about the guts of MPEG2 TS to know if simply padding out to 188 bytes is enough, or if we need to repacketize the data.

(Damn, if only I had a box to hack on...)

-Z