Thread: I want no locals

I want no locals

Hi,

I don't live in an area where I can get any local channels. I want to remove all the locals from the guide. I modified my channels.dat file and changed all the "2's" to "0's" at the end of each line. That worked, no more locals. My question is, do I even need to run mvchannels.tcl? I have been reading a lot of posts, but I am not sure if I need to run this script or not.

Thanks

You don't need it if you don't want what it adds, which are locals.

Dennis

Well, after I ran mvchannels once, unhiding certain locals, I can't seem to get it so that they are gone forever again after a reboot.

I tried all the parameters; reset, reload, ect. I can't get them to permenently hide again.

I can get them to hide again by using mvchannels with channels.dat that has a '0' flag for that channel, but when I reboot they are back. Actually, they will keep popping back unless I loop mvchannels to keep hiding them. This is for multiple cities, not just the city that my access card is allowing. I'm about ready to re-image by disk to get rid of them, unless anyone has any ideas?

Use Customize Channels to turn off channels in channels I receive. Then set up guide to only show channels I receive (Hit display when showing guide data)

have you rebuilt your channels.dat database? IOW, are you using pre-spot beam info? If so, that is why a reset isn't working for you... dumpall and then reset. If you ran the mvchannels before spot beam but are using a post-spot beam .dat, then revert back and then reset.

If you are confusing pre- and post-spot beam data, I THINK you will get the problems you've described.

synthesis

I believe you need a new main.dat for that to work.

whoops- if so, my bad. Never used mvchannels except to reset pre-beam

in either case, the above should be true, no?

The main.dat contains channel info from pre spot I am not sure how much info has changed. I believe if you try and run mvchannels reset it crashes

I ran it again just to see what would happen. It did not crash but it was unable to reset all the cahnnels. I believe that fsid and other info is incomplete for the spot locals.

I downloaded a new version of the main.dat file that has the new spotbeam data.

I've now been able to permenently (even with reboot) re-hide all locals.

sledge
    Last edited by sledge; 01-01-2002 at 07:18 PM.

Thanks dsboyce8624,

I will try and comment it out from the sysinit.rc. I noticed my guide and the whole receiver is much faster now that all the extra locals are gone.

Thanks for the help

Geek Boy