Thread: Serial cable length??

Hybrid View

Question Serial cable length??

Hi Everyone.

I built a serial cable for my Sony T60 its about 6 feet long and works fine.

What I really need is a cable 60 feet long to reach my computer, so I don't have to move the PC each time I want to run BASH.

Has anyone had any luck building a long cable, over 20 feet?

If so what type of cable did you use, what length of cable and any other construction details would be appreciated:-)

Thanks!!!

Re: Serial cable length??

Originally posted by Sierra
    Hi Everyone.

I built a serial cable for my Sony T60 its about 6 feet long and works fine.

What I really need is a cable 60 feet long to reach my computer, so I don't have to move the PC each time I want to run BASH.

Has anyone had any luck building a long cable, over 20 feet?

If so what type of cable did you use, what length of cable and any other construction details would be appreciated:-)

Thanks!!!
    You can probably get away with a 60ft. cable. Use Category 5 twisted pair cable, it's more immune to noise than plain old "silver satin" flat telephone cable.

Angry Bash Promt

I finally got 2.5 to install now my problem is I can get to the bash promt. I made my cable but cant get to the bash promt. Any help on how to get to the bash promt. I got my laptop conected. Should i have my computer on before turning the directtivo on, or off then conect the cable. Any help. Trying to not have to call.

Re: Bash Promt

Originally posted by 49ers
    I finally got 2.5 to install now my problem is I can get to the bash promt. I made my cable but cant get to the bash promt. Any help on how to get to the bash promt. I got my laptop conected. Should i have my computer on before turning the directtivo on, or off then conect the cable. Any help. Trying to not have to call.
    Are you running 25xtreme, for the DSR6000 or T60?
    Bash is enabled in these releases by default
    (9600,N,1,no hardware handshake)

If so the prompt should come up on your computer if you are running a terminal program (ie: hyperterm or teraterm).

Check your cable for wiring problems. It sounds like a few people have miss wired there cables I've had a problem with a long cable, but my 6ft cable made from a $2 cable works great.

I just cut the RCA plugs off the end and soldered on the DB9, of course this short one works because I really needed a long run, Murphy's Law I guess!

Hope this helps

Im using a 6-ft cable built similarly to the one on the how-to's and ran two 25-foot extension cords for the headphone jack (sheap Radia Shack cable) I'm having absolutely no problems.

My run is about 30 feet

I am using a phone cable that is solid 3 pair copper wire. This seems to work great.

Unhappy Re: Re: Bash Promt

Are you running 25xtreme, for the DSR6000 or T60?
    Bash is enabled in these releases by default
    (9600,N,1,no hardware handshake)

If so the prompt should come up on your computer if you are running a terminal program (ie: hyperterm or teraterm).

Check your cable for wiring problems. It sounds like a few people have miss wired there cables I've had a problem with a long cable, but my 6ft cable made from a $2 cable works great.

I just cut the RCA plugs off the end and soldered on the DB9, of course this short one works because I really needed a long run, Murphy's Law I guess!

Hope this helps
    First of all thanks for everyones help. I'm using 25xtreme for t60.
    I connected the cable is my serial to my com1. Do I need to turn on my directtivo and the computer at the same time. Or just my computer? What is the procedure should i use if im using hypertherminal? How can i enter my code. What should i look for. Thanks again for anyhelp!

bash

49ers

Have your puter booted up, plug your serial cable into the TIVO, start hyperterm or teraterm, with the settings 9600/N/1/NO. After you have this then power up your TIVO and within 30 sec or so you should get the bash prompt. Hope this helps.
    DeTer

Sierra,

If you want a REALLY long cable, do this.

Get some CAT5 cable. Put the transmit & recieve lines on different pairs, and tie the ground to BOTH of the other wires in the pair. This way you can go MILES! (OK...not really, but long enough for anyone).

Example:
    Transmit to ORANGE
    Recieve to BLUE
    Ground to ORANGE/WHITE and BLUE/WHITE.

15 Re: bash

Originally posted by DeTer
    49ers

Have your puter booted up, plug your serial cable into the TIVO, start hyperterm or teraterm, with the settings 9600/N/1/NO. After you have this then power up your TIVO and within 30 sec or so you should get the bash prompt. Hope this helps.
    DeTer
    Thanks! I got the bash I think its the > right? So, i got that from what i read all I have to do is type "touch/etc/SubTest. I did that and press enter nothing happen. How do i know that it went through, when i check my t60 its still saying that you have not succesfuly call withen 30day. Help! Thanks again.

Now force your unit to call.

Of course without the phoneline connected.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I did make a 60ft cable using a old orange outdoor extension cord 16-3

but it works, so thats all that matters.

Cool

Originally posted by Smooth
    Now force your unit to call.

Of course without the phoneline connected.

It works, thank you very much. Now how do i get the dual channel to work?

Just hook it up, and go through the Dish Setup again! It's already enabled!

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I did make a 60ft cable using a old orange outdoor extension cord 16-3

but it works, so thats all that matters.
    You serious??? I would love to see that. I thought I rigged stuff. Kudos!