Thread: HD Upgrade using 2 x 100GB = 245 Total Hours???

Thumbs up HD Upgrade using 2 x 100GB = 245 Total Hours???

I saw that PTVupgrade has a SuperTiVo 2 x 100GB (245 Total Hours*)???

Can anyone tell me how this is done. I have a 60g + 30G and have only 78 hours according to the system info?

Thanks in Advance,
    Deca

DSR6000

Believe you missed this part of his advertisement:

Do-It-Yourself SuperTiVo Kits for Standalone TiVo Units

But for your DSR6000 you can try 2 160 gig hard drives.

Also Standalone TiVo Units have

4 different types of Recording Levels something we don't have with our combo models.

No smooth- that unit uses internal RAM and virtual RAM to increase effective hard drive space from 200Gig to 245Gig.

Plus I think they added a codec to further compress the video.

Thanks for the reply guy's. Anyway we can increase our disk space systems like the SA units. I have a total of 90 gigs but only show 78 hours of recording time. 12 hours is a lot hours missing. I assume with the 90 gig the SA units can get over 100hours of recording time.

Deca

>>virtual RAM to increase effective hard drive space<<

hehe...well since Virtual RAM IS hard disk space, how would that increase your recording times? Unless there is some new kind of Matrix-like Virtuality that nobody told me about, you cant use hard disk space to make MORE hard disk space!

deca3: Around 10-12 gig is taken up by the OS & TiVo reserved space. The rough calculation for a combo unit is total gigbytes-10=Number of hours. I have dual 120's in my DSR6000 for a total of 240gb, and my recording time says "Up To 230 hours".

The reason that a SA has more recording time for the same amount of GB's, is because you can set the recording compression yourself. Combo units record the stream directly, so it is already compressed (variably) by DTV. Less for lots of action, more for "static" programs. If you record a lot of Home Shopping channels for example, you will be able to record more hours than if you only record football games or PPV.
    Thats why it says "Up To XXX".

Last edited by Pointfreak!; 01-04-2002 at 01:51 PM.

the virtual ram employs a quantum holography storage system, emulating crystalline memory. Brand-new cutting-edge physics, employed to increase tivo storage by 50 gig!

I sell HP computers and we have been using the quantum holography storage system for years in our systems.

Great technology!!

>>I sell HP computers and we have been using the quantum holography storage system for years in our systems. <<

Spoken like a true salesman! How many bridges did you sell today?

Originally posted by Pointfreak!
    Spoken like a true salesman! How many bridges did you sell today?

I can't keep the bridges in stock!!

You laugh but I do have one here. And guess what? It's an HP too. It props my door open. The other door is held by a 5MB hard drive.

I take the salesman comment as flattery!

Thumbs up

Thanks again Guy's. I now understand. You guy's are great!!!

Deca

Lets get rid of the hard drives and simply use the quantum holography storage system.

The TiVo size could reduced by more than half, the temp of the TiVo would also be reduced, eliminating the neded for the noisy fan.

Sound like a plan.

Lets get a patend and start selling this thing!

TR J , your how to can be found here http://dealdatabase.com/forum/search.php?s=

SP7128

Thanks, I would never have thought of that.

>>TR J, your how to can be found here http://dealdatabase.com/forum/search.php<<

Now THATS funny!!!!

SP7128 is pissed becuase no one is willing to spoon feed him better call his mommy!