Thread: Can I run 2.5xtreme on a bare 120GB drive?

Question Can I run 2.5xtreme on a bare 120GB drive?

I just got a 120GB Maxtor drive, and that is plenty for me -- don't need to dick around with mounting two drives in the Huges unit.

My question is, can I just remove the 40GB drive that came with it, and put that away for safe keeping, and run 2.5xtreme against a brand new unformatted 120GB drive? Does the 2.5xtreme image have all the files it needs, or does it depend on some tivo files already being there?

Does the primary ide drive have to already be formatted for a tivo before running 2.5extreme?

I have searched these databases for quite some time, and cannot find any definitive answer.

I suspect someone will tell me to backup my 40GB drive on to my 120GB drive, and then run some tool that expands the drive size. If this is the only way to do it, then so be it. Can I do all this within 2.5xtreme?

Yes, you can run 2.5xtreme on a clean drive. That's exactly what I did. I ran it on a new Maxtor 120, pulled the old drive from the DTiVo and dropped in the 120. Actually, I left the original drive inside my DTiVo disconnected and unpowered. That way I keep it as a backup and won't lose it.

Prosaic

>>don't need to dick around with mounting two drives in the Huges unit<<

Well, most of the dicking you will be doing anyway...opening the case..removing the drive...etc. Just four more screws for a second drive...cables are already there...two extra questions in 25xtreme.

>>can I just remove the 40GB drive that came with <<

Yes. I did this as well. There are those who will tell you this is wastful and paranoid, as you can back it up to a CD and use it WITH your new 120. Personally I like having a virgin backup.

>>Does the 2.5xtreme image have all the files it needs, <<

25xtreme is an image of Surgeons TiVo...pre-hacked for your convinience, along with the PROM upgrade, so YES...It's got everything you need!

>>Does the primary ide drive have to already be formatted for a tivo before running 2.5extreme? <<

No. Also remember that the 25xtreme is a Boot CD for Linux, and the drive then gets partitioned/imaged in Linux. Best not to confuse it by pre-formatting/partitioning it.

>>I suspect someone will tell me to backup my 40GB drive on to my 120GB drive, and then run some tool that expands the drive size. If this is the only way to do it, then so be it. Can I do all this within 2.5xtreme?<<

I dont think anyone will tell you that. Either way, you realize you are going to lose any recordings you have already made (if any) on the 40gig drive. In your case, just shelve the 40 and run 25xtreme on on the 120.

One BIG thing to keep in mind is that in order to install the 120gig drive as your 'A' drive, you will have to run TivoMAD. This is all well and good, but after running TiVoMAD you cannot add a 'B' drive down the road without re-doing the whole thing, and losing all recordings. I know you say that 120 is more than you will ever need. I said that too...then bought a second a week later!

Good Luck!