Thread: Questions on powering down a Tivo unit

Questions on powering down a Tivo unit

Is it safe to power down a Tivo at any time without screwing up the system/data?

If not, is it safe during "Standby" mode? I'm wondering because I still hear the hard drive cranking away during Standby mode.

I haven't found an "Off" button anywhere ...

Rick

For the record, I did unplug a 6000 in standby mode one time and when I plugged it back in I got the GREEN screen of death.

It was easy to fix however, I just reloaded my backed up file and rebooted no problem.

Nigel.

issuing a restart at the bash prompt, then pulling the plug as soon as powering up message appears on tv has yet to lead me astray. ymmv.

You can also tell the system to restart with remote.
    Unplug when you see powering up.

Wow ... This is kinda scary!

I'd hate to kill my brand-new TiVo so easily. It seems like it would be very susceptible to "death by power outage" as well.

Right now, I don't have a PC anywhere near my TiVo, and it looks like I need to move it back and forth between my PC and TV to fix my current problem (I'm getting a "You haven't connected successfully to TiVo in 30 days message" after I did a "touch /etc/TestSub" command). I'm sure I'll need a PC terminal for other stuff that I don't even know I need yet ( I'm new to TiVo and this forum).

I might be able to get an old DOS PC near the TV. Does anyone know where I can find a small (fits on a single bootable floppy) terminal emulator that I can talk to the TiVo with so I don't need to shut it down as often?

Thanks!

Rick

T_RJ,

Thanks! I just saw your posting after I replied to an earlier message. I was looking for something like this in the owner's manual, but didn't see it (I was looking for things like "Power Down" or "Shutting Off" in the Index). I found "Resetting the System" on page 95.

That solves one problem!

Does anyone have answers for my other two problems? (The "30 days" problem and a floppy disk-based terminal program I can use with the Tivo)?

Thank you!

Rick

Note: The forum search function appears to be disabled, or I would try that route.

(I'm getting a "You haven't connected successfully to TiVo in 30 days message" after I did a "touch /etc/TestSub" command).

SubTest not TestSub

Then force daily call.

Any DOS terminal program will work fine on a floppy to access bash. Telix is my favorite.

sledge

T_RJ - My bad! I had a typo when I was working from my corrupted and beer-drenched organic memory. I did enter SubTest into the /etc directory. I will try the "Make Daily Call Now" option when I get home from work tonight to see if it works.

Sledge, I downloaded the telix shareware version for DOS. I'll let you guys know how it goes!

Thanks again for all the help!

Rick

T_RJ - Your suggestion worked fine (as you probably already suspected). Thanks again for your help!

Sledge - I haven't tried Telix yet, I'm trying to get it to fit on a single floppy. Will try tomorrow.

Rick