Thread: Low level format on TiVo's Quantum

Low level format on TiVo's Quantum

I pulled my Quantum Fireball from my TiVo and replaced it with a 100Gb drive. I would like to use the Quantum in my PC. I can't get XP or 200 to install on it, even after FDISKing and FORMATing it. I'm thinking maybe a low level format may cure it, but I can't find a utility to do it! anyone have any experience?

Re: Low level format on TiVo's Quantum

Originally posted by junkyardpizza
    I pulled my Quantum Fireball from my TiVo and replaced it with a 100Gb drive. I would like to use the Quantum in my PC. I can't get XP or 200 to install on it, even after FDISKing and FORMATing it. I'm thinking maybe a low level format may cure it, but I can't find a utility to do it! anyone have any experience?
    Try FDISK /MBR this will replace the Master Boot Record.

Use Delpart.exe. It will remove ANY partition.
    When you're green, you grow!
    When you're ripe, you rot!

DSR6000 148Hours ver 2.52
    GXCEBOT 170 Hours ver 2.52 -MIA Sent in for repairs
    HDVR2 105 Hours ver 3.1b
    All Networked

Added a DSR7000

Re: Low level format on TiVo's Quantum

Originally posted by junkyardpizza
    I would like to use the Quantum in my PC. I can't get XP or 200 to install on it, even after FDISKing and FORMATing it.
    That's odd. I used 2.5Xtreme on a 40 gig Maxtor as a test before my 120 gig drive arrived. After using it in my DTiVo a couple of days I replaced it with the larger drive and put it in a new machine and installed Windows XP Home on it.
    The setup saw the drive as completely empty, probably because the byte swapping TiVo uses made the partition table unreadable.

For some reason I ended up with the system installed as H:. In the end I booted off the 2.5Xtreme CDROM with the "noswap" option and used the linux fdisk to set up the partition table the way I wanted it with a few gigs of space saved out for a future linux install. The second load of XP got things set up correctly as C:.

Prosaic

Well you guys got my OS installed on my old TiVo drive! I actually tried both solutions:

I first ran the posted file, then did the fdisk /mbr for good measure. I finally did a regular (high level) format and PRESTO. Here I am typing to you all.