Thread: bootable cd for mfstools

35 bootable cd for mfstools

Hi I'm an olddude but a newbie at all this. I'm preparing to do a backup and install on a dsr6000 and I've gotten the instructions from Hinsdale but my problem is I don't know anything about Linux and I don't know how to create a bootable cd. What I tried was using nero and I copied the iso from Kazymyrs latest boot cd image. I followed all the instructions and also tried different master/ slave combinations and made sure my bios was looking for the cd as a bootable device but everything I did had no affect and I would just boot into my normal windows system. I am running windows ME with an AMD processor with raid on the motherboard. (I am not using the raid function). Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong or how a bootable cd is supposed to work.
    I've been a mainframer for years and have been into pc's for a couple of years. My son got me interested in this stuff and I've been having a ball cruising around learning all this stuff. Any help would be appreciated for this 'slow' guy

Exerything you can do with Kazymyrs boot CD is available on the 25xtreme cd no need to creat both.

Now creating the 25xtreme or the Kazymyrs cd.
    Stop using Nero there are plenty of posts regarding problems with Nero. Use Roxio Cd Creator 5.

Once you have the cd's made use the onboard ide take the raid card out.

Make your primary drive (Windoz) Primary Master make your cd drive primary slave. Make your TiVo A drive secondary master and if you have a TiVo B drive make it secondary slave.

Make sure you set in the bios that the cd Drive is the first boot device.

Follow Hinsdale how to from there.

Thanks for your suggestion.
    I finally got a boot cd made with nero when I used the 'burn image' option under files.
    I followed all your instructions and did the following..
    I've followed all the instructions in hinsdale's publication and I ran mftools to backup my tivo files but when done it said 'failed' and thenshowed my backup string and then 'success'.
    I rebooted to windows after un-connecting my tivo drive and looked for the tivo.bak file on my C drive but it was not there.
    I then decided I would try 25xtreme. following Surgeon's instructions I ran 25xtreme and it was in the process of updating tivo 2.5. everything seemed to be going ok but just as I got to the last few bytes I go the following: 'restore failed decomprression error....99% (1325.. 91% compression) - nbr that was to be retsored was 1365..
    I put the drive back into my tivo unit and all I get is powering up message. Has been sitting there for over 40 min. now. Have I wiped myself out? Any help greatly appreciated... Thans olddude..

DO NOT USE NERO and try again.
    WHAT PART OF "DO NOT USE NERO" DON"T YOU UNDERSTAND !

Unhappy

Hi understand don't use very well but I also understand big $$$
    for cd creator. Anyway the problem I have is that nero worked fine but my problem as stated above is I've made a newbie error and do not have a working tivo or a backup image. Where can I get a image copy. If anyone can help please post or email me.
    Thanks ahead for any help...

Sounds like your 25xtreme cd is corrupt (Nero) make a new one (not with nero) try again.

You can get a 90 trial of easy cd creator
    1Dave1

[small voice] not to complicate matter, but nero worked great for me 3 separate times... [/small voice]

It may have, but it is also a well known fact that the 99% error is always with nero cd's.

Dennis

If I'm not mistaken, I think the 25XTreme ISO includes a perfectly working directivo HDD image for the specific IRD you downloaded it for.

I have Easy Cd Creator 5.0 Platinum. When making a bootable cd for MfsTools2. Are there any special settings for:

Bootable Cd:
    Load Segment:
    Sector Count:
    Emulation Options:

And what should I see when I look on the disk in Windows. Should it be an .img file/s????
    I'm not stealing, I'm just picking up the junk in my backyard.

I would recommend using CDRWin for burning iso images as it's probably one of the best programs designed for doing this. Padus DiscJuggler also works quite well. I've not had a problem using Nero for any of my Linux bootable CDs created from iso's. Try burning them with the Joliet option turned off.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!