Thread: Problem with 25Xtreme?? *plz help very frustrated. :)

Problem with 25Xtreme?? *plz help very frustrated. :)

I have succesfully gotten 25Xtreme working on one DTivo.
    I am doingasecond, and after I run 25xtreme (all goes succesfully) when I fdisk /dev/hdc to see what partitionshave been created, there is nothing there... and I can't mount any either. If i put itin the tivo, it just powers up's then reboots.
    I have tried another HD and cable, and same deal.
    I have reburned the sw about 5 times as well.

Anyonehave a clue what might be going on?

Thanks!

Did this DTiVo ever boot?

1. if your using windows fdisk (which i imagine you are) it will not show the partitions... you must use a tivo boot disk (one with a byte swapped kernel, like the 25xtreme disk ) to mount partitions..

2. after imaging the drive using 25xtrenme, it will reboot 2-3 times during the upgrade process, this is normal...

if it continues to reboot, over and over.. yo should check your jumper settings.. (need to be cable select)

hope this helps.
    -= Glitched =-

Cable select?

I have had many problems with cable select.

I recommend master for the A drive and slave for the B drive if it is there.

whatever works for you.. if you leave it at cable select (like it comes from tivo), you will never need to change the jumper, even when working with the drive in a PC... but master and slave will work just as well...
    Last edited by Glitched; 01-06-2002 at 10:37 PM.
    -= Glitched =-

the fisk I was using was linux fdisk.. I'm a SysAdmin, so im not a total linux frump. anyway when I put it in the tivo, it just power cycles.
    I've tried CS and Master configs for burning.
    I've triedanother 40gb drive.
    I've tried about 8 different burns of 25extreme
    Ihave not tried a different comptuer to burn, or something other than /dev/hdc .... so will try taht today.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this kinda problem.

Thanks!!

Yes, I had a problem like that also. I was unable to get my DTiVo to boot with the drive I had created using 2.5Xtreme. I kept getting some error during the tivomad portion and the drive would never boot.

I finally tried it on another PC and it worked. Same CD copy and same hard drive, but it worked and finally booted. However, I can't tell you what made the difference, because I don't know. Maybe there was some problem with the IDE controllers in the first machine or maybe I was just doing something wrong.

Prosaic

Hi there,
    I had a similar problem when I tried to set my system up with an A drive only (but indicated that a B would be blessed later). I decided rather than try and backup my origninal HD, I would simply put a new 40gig in as drive A and restore Xtreme2.5 to it. I did this before the T-60 xtreme was done but should be similar.

My problems got better when I stripped my computer down to a CD to boot from, a C hard drive on the primary bus and both the A and B drives on the secondary bus. After doing the xtreme2.5 (for the philips unit) I put things back in the TiVo unit, let it upgrade the software (which also upgraded the prom) and then restored the iceT-60 image on Drive A back in the PC.

That didn't work (rebooted all the time) until I zero'ed the INITRD. After that, all was well. Try zeroing it out and put it back in the TiVo unit.

Nitrous