Thread: Prom Utility

Prom Utility

Are there any exsisting tools to dowload and or backup your current prom before upgrading to xtreme25?

I have never done it, before my time. But I believe you can use getprom.

BubbaJ would know for sure.

Dennis

Well, the PROM file that is in the PROM before the upgrade resides in the directory, so just copy that file as your backup. However, it really does not matter since if you screw up the PROM, you aint gonna be able to restore it easily anyway.

So you are saying that the prom file resides on the hard disk? That doesn't make much sense unless it writes the file to the hard disk before writing it to the prom?????

There is a line in rc.sysinit that loads the prom each time the machine boots. When new software is installed on the TIVO, part of the install copies a new prom image to /prom/TiVoProm.bin. After the unit reboots rc.sysinit installs the new prom code.

Since the prom controls booting of the tivo, if it gets trashed you would have to use jtag or some other hardware method for reloading the prom. Not something for the faint of heart.

There is no current publicly available method for recovering from a trashed prom.

Digitz

Thank you. If understand correctly, the file TivoProm.bin is a copy of what is physically located on the prom?

If this is the case, all I should have to do is copy this file as a backup and I could restore the prom by using getprom???

Thanks

There is a line in rc.sysinit that loads the prom each time the machine boots. When new software is installed on the TIVO, part of the install copies a new prom image to /prom/TiVoProm.bin. After the unit reboots rc.sysinit installs the new prom code.

Since the prom controls booting of the tivo, if it gets trashed you would have to use jtag or some other hardware method for reloading the prom. Not something for the faint of heart.

There is no current publicly available method for recovering from a trashed prom.

proms (not the dance)

These are some good questions I am seeking answers for also.

I am working on a StandAlone Phillips. I believe your will be similar.

For the files on the hard drive..., In the "/prom" dir, there are four files: TiVoProm.ntsc.bin, TiVoProm.pal.bin, TiVoProm_1.84b.bin and TiVoProm_2.05.bin.

I have flashed all four successfully using "getprom -Update (filename)".

Also one can be found in "/dev/hda4/prom" named TiVoProm.bin. It also flashed my prom okay.

Originally, I first did the "prom.bin" trying to keep 2.5 software from overwriting all the modifications I made to update thru the serial port. But I lost my firmware (or boot, or hardware) prompt. I've been trying to get it back, hence all this flashing. :-)

The only two differences I noticed are (1.) boot up time and (2.) the splash screen. I get "Welcome, Powering up" from one one .bin and not the other. It remains blank (snow) while booting.

I believe "getprom" is the utility you would use.. try a "getprom -help" at your bash prompt. You'll see "-dump" as one of the switches.

I have two Tivos and (thanks to Attack) I have tried to backup the prom from my in use Tivo, to the tivo w/o a boot promt.
    "getprom -dump /var/hack/(filename)" gave me a file with which I tried to flash with, but it replied "Wrong magic number". that's where I am now.

BTW, "getprom -version" reports the corresponding "prom" that was written to the chip, and not the version of the command "getprom" as I've read somwhere.

Anyway, hope this helps .

Things usually don't make sense to me either... till I understand them. :-)

I don't think anyone has figured out exactly what -dump does but it doesn't dump the prom image. I quick file comparision will show that they aren't even close. As for reflashing, I wasn't aware that the getprom utility would allow you to flash to a prom version less than the current version. Which getprom are you using 1.3, 2.0, 2.5?

Digitz

TiVoProm_2.05.bin should be a symbolic link to TiVoProm.ntsc.bin

Hiya Digitz,
    I followed the how to from BubbaJ and downgraded to 2.01 software to write his included prom.bin before restoring back to 2.5. All the flashes I've spoken of (the next five and attempted sixth from my other SA) were from the 2.5.1 software. I renamed the "getprom" that came with the 2.5 Hack, which is now in my /var/hack dir, so that it would not be seen, since that dir is now included in a PATH statement, and used the native command that came with restoring 2.5.

(I could have written all that in 1 sentence, if I knew more prepositions .

Hiya Digitz,
    I followed the how to from BubbaJ and downgraded to 2.01 software to write his included prom.bin before restoring back to 2.5; by the way, all the flashes I've spoken of (the next five and attempted sixth from my other SA) were from the 2.5.1 software, also I renamed the "getprom" that came with the 2.5 Hack, which is now in my /var/hack dir, so that it would not be seen, since that dir is now included in a PATH statement, and used the native command that came with restoring 2.5.

easily done... BTW I don't recall writing a howto or releasing a binary bios image.. That doesn't neccesarily mean that I didn't, just that I don't recall doing it.. could you post a link..

Hi BubbaJ!

I see that I am wrong in saying that it was a BubbaJ official How-To.. it looks like Neutronflux posted a how-to here --->

In this thread... ,

and even then the text didn't have a name on it I wrongly assumed after finding it, that it was a refined bit of what you guys discussed ---->

in this thread.

Sorry to you, all reading this post and Neutronflux (hope I got this one right) . Gotta give credit where it is due.

Having said that... I still gotta say that as I see it... You had a purty big hand in starting that ball rolling!

Thanks BubbaJ.
    Last edited by incognito; 01-07-2002 at 05:29 PM.

Hi BubbaJ!

I see that I am wrong in saying that it was a BubbaJ official How-To.. it looks like Neutronflux posted a how-to here --->

In this thread... ,

and even then the text didn't have a name on it I wrongly assumed after finding it, that it was a refined bit of what was being discussed in this ----> thread

Sorry to you and all reading this post and Neutronflux (hope I got this one right) . Gotta give credit where it is due.

Having said that... I still gotta say that as I see it... You had a purty big hand in starting that ball rolling!

Thanks BubbaJ.