Thread: Lost Bash on T60 25xtreme, why?

Lost Bash on T60 25xtreme, why?

I was just curious why all of the sudden my Bash shell had stopped working. I have no problems reloading 25xtreme but I just want to know why. I checked my cable and everything is perfect. I must have did something wrong.

OK, here's the last thing I did-

I added the line to the rc.sysinit to run mvchannels.tcl on bootup as per Superzap's instructions. I used Joe and I know I used it properly. I had the help screen up the entire time. I can't remeber clearly but I'm pretty sure I still had the Bash shell after that. I reset the machine and retried it, I think. Anyway, it has no problems other than the fact I can't get Bash back now. I have reset it several times via the menu but still no dice. I have not unplugged it though.

Any suggestions? Can I mount the drive on my PC and try to correct it there or should I just reload?

Did you change the baud rate?
    Check and make sure that your terminal program is set to 9600.
    The tivo defaults to this when you reboot.

Lost bash

I had a similar problem using "joe with the bash prompt. It would lock up when I started it and the only way I could get the bash back was to unplug the unit. I had no problem with joe when the drive was in the computer though???

Lost Bash on DSR6000

Ok... I did it.. Sorta !

Loaded 2.5Xtreme. Got bash. Touched stuff... Lifetime service !

YAY!

Loaded mvchannels.tcl ... Everything went fine...

Added the
    /var/hack/mvchannels.tcl -loop=0 -sdelay=3
    -file=/var/hack/channels.dat > dev/null &
    line to the rc.sysinit in the etc/rc.d directory.

Rebooted..
    NO BASH ! AACK! HELP. Somethings wrong, and I think I've checked everything. Do I really need to reload the ENTIRE image ?

Am I stuck in a bad loop that is precluding the bash prompt ?

How can I get it back ?

If you can't get a bash prompt from the TiVo,then youwill have to mount your tivo drive in your PC and undo your work in the rc.sysinit.

Originally posted by T_RJ
    If you can't get a bash prompt from the TiVo,then youwill have to mount your tivo drive in your PC and undo your work in the rc.sysinit.
    Oh you are THE BEST !

OK... Since I have to do this anyway (or so it would seem) let's see if I need to make any other changes...

As I said, I ran mvchannels... I got all of them for my area (BA, BN, DC, PH, etc..) but they are assigned in the lower end of 1-99.

This causes me to get more than one channel 2, more than one channel 4, etc..

I looked at the file I ran from SuperZap and it is indeed attempting to allocate the non-NYC channels to the 900 range.

Is it possible (as I said before) that the handy-work I did in the rc.sysinit is not properly looping to reallocate to the 900s ?

Or does it just take time - Meaning, that they show up in the low end first and move p to the 900s in a few hours...

Thanks.. So help me, I will help EVERYONE I can after this !

JJ

Originally posted by JJBliss

Oh you are THE BEST !

OK... Since I have to do this anyway (or so it would seem) let's see if I need to make any other changes...

As I said, I ran mvchannels... I got all of them for my area (BA, BN, DC, PH, etc..) but they are assigned in the lower end of 1-99.

This causes me to get more than one channel 2, more than one channel 4, etc..

I looked at the file I ran from SuperZap and it is indeed attempting to allocate the non-NYC channels to the 900 range.

Is it possible (as I said before) that the handy-work I did in the rc.sysinit is not properly looping to reallocate to the 900s ?

Or does it just take time - Meaning, that they show up in the low end first and move p to the 900s in a few hours...

Thanks.. So help me, I will help EVERYONE I can after this !

JJ
    I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure if you don't set at least one of the 2's and 4's duplicates to "hide", the problem will still be there.

You are correct, the locals by default try to populate the 1-99 space until mvchannels kicks them up to the 900's. They will drop back if it stops looping.

Originally posted by BubbleLamp

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure if you don't set at least one of the 2's and 4's duplicates to "hide", the problem will still be there.

You are correct, the locals by default try to populate the 1-99 space until mvchannels kicks them up to the 900's. They will drop back if it stops looping.
    Cool.. See.. If that's true AND I mucked up the rc.sysinit (causing the loss of bash) with a bad loop of mvchannels.. Not ony would bash not work, but the channels would fall back down to the 1-99 range...

Seems like I'm going to be pulling those drives out and putting them back in my PC.....

Can anyone offer any help regarding the proper strings of commands to run after the 2.5xtreme CD boots, that will enable me to fix my bad rc.sysinit ?

And do I need to put both my drives in the PC or only the A: Drive (presumably where the rc.sysinit is located) ?