Thread: Wont boot up

Wont boot up

I just messed up my RC.SYSINIT file trying to edit it.
    So thru bash I deleted it, and transfered the RC.SYSINIT file from HACK.ZIP.

I thought I did the CHMOD +X to it but I must not have.
    When I reset the tivo, it is stuck at the powering up screen.
    Has anyone else had this happen to them?
    I am going to put the drives in the computer anduse the boot cd to get to it and do the CHMOD +X to it.

I believe I am on the right track.
    1Dave1

You should always make a backup first. Putting the drive(s) in the PC will give you access to repair the damage though.

Dennis

Well after 7 hours it's still at the powering up screen. I copied the RC.SYSINIT file from hack.zip to a floppy. I booted with the extreme cd, mounted the floppy and partition 7 & 9 on the tivo A drive. I copied thr RC.SYSINIT file from the floppy to partition 9 /etc/rc.d directory

I unmounted and rebooted the tivo no luck

I then done it again and used chmod +X on it rebooted no luck

All I was doing is editing the RC.SYSINIT thru bash and it got screwed some how

I know I am missing something but I'm not sure what. I have search & searched the posts. I hate to redo extreme2.5 I have alot of movies on here that I wish to keep and copy to tape

ANYONE have any ideas?
    1Dave1

Originally posted by 1dave1
    Well after 7 hours it's still at the powering up screen. I copied the RC.SYSINIT file from hack.zip to a floppy. I booted with the extreme cd, mounted the floppy and partition 7 & 9 on the tivo A drive. I copied thr RC.SYSINIT file from the floppy to partition 9 /etc/rc.d directory

I unmounted and rebooted the tivo no luck

I then done it again and used chmod +X on it rebooted no luck

All I was doing is editing the RC.SYSINIT thru bash and it got screwed some how

I know I am missing something but I'm not sure what. I have search & searched the posts. I hate to redo extreme2.5 I have alot of movies on here that I wish to keep and copy to tape

ANYONE have any ideas?
    Two things to check, make sure the file name rc.sysinit is all lower case, and double check that it's in *nix format, not DOS format.

it is in lower case and i unzipped straight to a formatted floppy then mounted the floppy and copied to the TIVO A drive still no luck

Will reinstalling extreme 2.5 wipe all my movies if i reinstall it?
    1Dave1

Originally posted by 1dave1
    Will reinstalling extreme 2.5 wipe all my movies if i reinstall it?
    I'm afraid so.

is there a better option? Like coping and entire directory?

I know the copy command is CP what is the make directory command?
    1Dave1

Hi 1dave1,

Someone correct me if I've been doing this the wrong way... but all the editing I've done was on /dev/hda4 and/or /dev/hda7.

/dev/hda9 has been my "/var" directory from the tivo bash prompt.

Several times (hard drive in my pc) I've simply copied my backup rc.sysinit from /dev/hdb9/hack/(filename) to /dev/hdb7/etc.rc.d/, (actually, mounted it was cp /mnt/9/hack/rc.sysinit /mnt/7/etc/rc.d/ ).

"9" did not exist in /mnt till I used the "mkdir" command

That is with 2.5 software on the tivo drive, and it mounted on the primary IDE as slave. When my tivo was running 2.0 software, I had to make changes to the /dev/hda4 partition.

Since I've edited the files on hda4 (not knowing which was active at first) there's been a time or two I've copied the same file from the inactive root partiton (hda4 in my case), just to save me some time. If yours was not edited, that may be a virgin rc.sysinit waiting for you to copy and start over with.

Unless it copies from partition 9 at boot... or yours is different than mine... I think you copied rc.sysinit to the wrong partition.

incognito

P.S. just read further down the board and saw this ---> "partitions"
    Last edited by incognito; 01-08-2002 at 09:10 PM.