Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Proof of Concept; Viable Society

Well, it seems to me that Xtreme came with a time bomb. Those people who just put it on and never learned aything else about it are now paying the price. Although the original hacks installed by Xtreme are not affected by the loss of the /var/hack directory, it seems to be freaking people out. Of course anything you added to /var/hack is lost. Just an insight.

Dennis

But, seriously, cron; tar; and gzip are really needed.
    "vi" and "more" would be nice too. I know from a previous thread I can load vi myself but it would be nice to come standard.

Musta missed this thread...

Sorry I'm so late chiming in... are we going for 20 pages??

Nice to see InTek back visiting. He's been quite a busy guy...

As for some of the logging ideas... yet another method to minimize logs is to prevent their creation - and speed up your DTivo a little bit. It's all been posted here before.

rc.sysinit calls the logging daemons. Remark them out - there're only two. Can you guess??

This disables the keypress and viewing logs. Some other logs are still written - eg. when an itcl calls for something to be explicitly logged. But these grow quite slowly - and can be deleted with a call from rc.sysinit on each boot (or any of the other methods already mentioned here).

I'm still working (slowly) on figuring out what happens to the nightly Show/Mag downloads - XTreme users get them, but they don't "activate".

I have already *verified* that they stay on MFS indefinitely if you don't call in. I haven't (yet) verified if a real phone call initiates the clean-up of expired stuff - but I believe that to be the true. I'm concerned - but not certain - that these unprocessed and expired downloads could cause trouble down-the-road.

They should be marked with a date somewhere, When you make a call the TiVo wipes expired guide data older than 2 days, and I assume uses the same process to discard the old showcases/etc..

Check your logs after a call in, or look through all the tcls (again I'm sure) and look for something that captures the date as a number and checks against the database with it.

Here's my verification that it doesn't get wiped...

Restored an old backup with Mag/Show already enabled. On power up, Mag shows "No Programs", Show says "3 days" - they had all "expired". Set date to date of backup, and old Sho/Mags reappear.

Let run connected to sat for 12 days. Show/Mag still not working. But setting date back to original backup, and the old, old stuff is still there in Show/Mag...

Showcase/Mag....

Where are they stored or where are they run from....

If they are databsae related then I guess we gotten clean them out..

They're store on the MFS partition - only accessible through the tivosh commands.

Bubbaj-- any news on any cleanup a dial-in might do for us ?
    Did I do that...

My 2cents worth. A nice debugging addition would be "lsof"