Thread: New Hughes G-BOT...BIG PROBLEM???

Question New Hughes G-BOT...BIG PROBLEM???

I have a friend(newbie) who purchased a new Hughes and was trying to install the 25xtreme. I gave him the copy I downloaded and he installed the 40GB drive from the RCVR and booted all the way to the LINUX prompt "/#". This is what he gets right before the "/#" prompt.

mount: block device/dev/hdd is write-protected, mounting read-only
    mount: No medium found

When he enters "25xtreme" (no quotes) he receives:

sh:25xtreme: command not found

NOW........he removed the drive and formatted it from fdisk. And still he gets the same messages. I think he might have fried the TIVO drive. Is there anything he can do to the drive now??? He is at work and I am at home with his drive so I am his tivo bitch today. I too am somewhat of a newbie to 25xtreme but have been testing for a couple of years. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have read multiple posts but didn't find anything specific to his problem. Thanks in advance.

Are you using a scsi cdrom?

If so search the forum for scsi I don't rember what thread it was in but there has been some disscussion regarding scsi cd roms

NO....just the standard installed in my computer. It boots all the way to the Linux prompt then that is when it has problems as stated above.

i had the same problem

I had the EXACT same problem, trying to remember how I fixed it.

Seems like it had something to do with the way my drives were connected to the controllers (primary master, slave, secondary, etc.). I have 2 CD drives on my machine (a DVD and a CDR). What was happening was that it was trying to mount a CD drive as a regular hard drive (hdd in your case). Hence the read-only comment, since a CD can only be mounted read-only.

Seems like what I had to do was to unhook the DVD drive, and leave just the CD hooked up, but I don't remember what I had it hooked up as on the IDE controller.

hope that helps......

Also, for the command not found thing... I think there is uppercase lettering in the name... Remember that linux (like Unix) is VERY case sensitive.

Keep in mind that FDISK is a DOS/Windows utility, and will not see or allow you to alter linux partitions.

kbigfeather

If you were able to format the drive then there is nothing wrong with it. Check your cabling and jumpers.

Happend to me one time, I forgot to connect power to the drive.

Thanks eBruce

Thanks alot, that was exactly my problem. I disconnected my DVD drive and used my cdr drive to boot it came up and "bam" worked. I installed the touch at the bash and now have lifetime sub. Thanks to all for the help. Now, I just have to master the local installations.....any help as to where to start or I will just start reading. Thanks again, this forum rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe I can help

oops