Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ccc - Free Tivo 2.5g Files

I am a newbie so when i use dylans boot disk i just do a complete backup right. How do i edit the rc.sysinit.file? i ahve heard about it but very new to this hobby. been in sat hobby for a while now.

thanks,
    chris

Get TiVoMad v3.2 boot floppy
    here ===> http://www.9thtee.com/upgradeav3.2.zip
    and use to backup.

Refer to this HowTo if needed ===> http://www.newreleasesvideo.com/hinsdale-how-to/

Get mfstool here ===> http://www.9thtee.com/mfstools-1_0_static.zip
    and copy to your C drive in root directory. Backup file could be over 1 GB depending what's on the HD, so check the space on C drive.

1. put HD in PC and boot floppy
    2. enter ctrl-c to get to # prompt
    3. mkdir /mnt/dos
    4. mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/dos
    5. /mnt/dos/mfstool backup -6so /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdX (X= "b" if Primary Slave, "c" if Secondary Master, "d" if Secondary Slave, make sure you enter the 4 spaces in this command)
    6. Wait until complete and the backup file will be on C drive root directory named tivo.bak

To restore to your TiVo HD repeat steps 1-4 and use this command for step 5:
    /mnt/dos/mfstool restore -zi /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdX

Then download the rc.sysinit file that is attached to Glitched post in page 3 of this thread. Copy that file to your C drive root and then copy to TiVo HD as follows:

1. mkdir /mnt/td
    2. mount /dev/hdX4 /mnt/td
    3. cp /mnt/dos/rc.sysinit.speedboot.txt /mnt/td/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit

Then put HD back in DTiVo and boot.
    Remember to substitute X= "b" if Primary Slave, "c" if Secondary Master, "d" if Secondary Slave in the above commands.
    Last edited by superzap; 01-13-2002 at 05:58 PM.

Okay correct me if i am wrong please. I don't like to just do things without knowing what the commands do. i need to learn. the best way is to just do it. I took the hard drive out of my buddies tivo. One 40 gig fireball drive. Now i put his drive into my pc as primary slave or whatever. this will make a backup of his drive on my c: root. that should be all i need from his drive right? Now i power down and connect my new tivo drive the same way and use the commands to put his backup on my drive. do i use tivomad to back up my drive? it says i shopuld make a backup of my drive before using this software? Confusing.

By the way thanks for all the help so far

chris

Yes make a backup of your drive first if that's what you're using to restore to fro testing. I thought you were using another drive to test. Just repeat the backup process for your HD and change the "tivo.bak" to another name.

well, this thread is momentarily derailed

well i am just getting ready to power down the computer to make the copy. Hopefully everything goes well. There is no way to just make a direct disk to disk copy like a cd is there?
    Thanks,
    chris

hjscm also has a FreeTiVo 2.5g HD and will hopefully share the image after created.

The mfstool image is smaller than an exact HD copy would be.
    Last edited by superzap; 01-13-2002 at 08:30 PM.

if i can figure out how to creat one i would be glad to share. all the help you gyus have giving me it is worth it.

Chris

Hinsdale wrote an excellent how to.
    Hats off to Hunsdale!!

http://www.newreleasesvideo.com/hinsdale-how-to/

I am certain that most members
    ( some won't know what to do with it and never will )
    would love an opertunity to examin your image.

well it did not work. I forgot i read somewhere about ntsf drives. it won't let me mount to a ntsf drive. Any ideas?

You could make a direct HD to HD presuming the 2 drives are both original quantum 40GB. This will not get you a backup of your HD. See the hinsdale section 7, option #3 and only do the dd. Takes a long time.

i took another hd out of another computer running 95. I was going to try the dd copy but am i missing something. one command liine says dd if=/dev/hdc of=/devhdb bs =32k.
    Now i am hooked up the way it says and my drives are hdc and hdd. where c is the master and d the slave. i was afraid it would copy the blank hdd to the good one and screw it all up. is that command right? what is hdb?

both are the exact same original drives. How do i know in the command line which drive am i copying to the other?

Thanks,
    chris

Hate to bring back an old subject.

http://www.newreleasesvideo.com/hinsdale-how-to/

If you read it, it will work!
    But you must read it, If you do not understand what you have read you need to read it again.
    Last edited by T_RJ; 01-13-2002 at 10:15 PM.

I still don't know what it says. Where is the hdb drive coming from? I don't have a primary slave installed. All i have is a primary master which is hda, a secondary master which is hdc and a secondary slave which is hdd. So where is the hdb come from? if i want to copy from hdc to hdd is the /dev/hdc my original and of=/dev/hdb the drive i am going to copy to? One is a brand new unit never turned on. the other has been working for about a week? Would a dd work?

Thanks