Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 25Xtreme needs to call TiVo??? HELP!!!

29 25Xtreme needs to call TiVo??? HELP!!!

I just installed Surgeons 2.5 Xtreme and everything worked great. I put two 80GB drives in the PC and booted from the Xtreme CD. The install was flawless.

Then I transfered the drives to the TiVo per the instructions and the TiVo behavior was just as promised....

The problem however is that I'm unable to record anything! Everytime I try to record something I get a "Service Interrupted Error" stating that a successful daily call has not been made in 30 days!

I thought the whole purpose of Xtreme v2.5 was to AVOID making calls to TiVo... Am I missing something here?

Please HELP!

Yes it works as intendendted.

You need to do a little more reading!

I will give a small hint.

Search the forum "touch".

If you can't figure it out from there you shouldn't have tried it in the first place.

bronco13,
    I posted a similar quest. in Silverdude's "25xtreme ..." post.
    Hopefully help is only a post away.
    GL

Huh?

Can't anyone just tell me the answer? What's with all the mystery?

I posted a similar quest. in Silverdude's "25xtreme ..." post.
    Hopefully help is only a post away.
    I think its a legal issue. The answer is in many posts. There are only 2 types of posts with the wor "touch" in it. One like this, the other with the answer.

SD

Linux Knowledge?

Hilarious! Something tells me I have to know Linux...

Well, right now I put the other drive back in until I can figure this whole 'touch' thing out. Can anyone at least send me a link to the answer??? If it already exists somewhere in the forum maybe someone can at least save me some time...

Thumbs down Spoonfeed

Dude,
    Why do you need to be spoonfed??? It takes less than a minute to do a search on "touch" and you'd find the answer....I spent over 30 hours of reading, reading, reading...I'm familiar with DTV stuff (won't discuss here i know...) and TiVo was all new. I knew, from being a member on other boards, what to do. Read & Search.

Sometime or later you have to leave the nest...
    Should I throw something on the grill
    for ya?

>>Can't anyone just tell me the answer? What's with all the mystery?<<

Because if we spoonfeed you now, we will be spoonfeeding you for the rest of your TiVo hacking life.

Click "Show all posts for the last 60 days". Take an hour or two and read them all. THEN if you have questions, come back...but you probably wont need too....

(PS: thats what we all did...)

Re: 25Xtreme needs to call TiVo??? HELP!!!

Originally posted by bronco13
    I thought the whole purpose of Xtreme v2.5 was to AVOID making calls to TiVo... Am I missing something here?
    Yes, you are missing something here - avoiding the call to TiVo is not the whole purpose of 25Xtreme.

However, it has the ability to be very slightly modified to allow what you want. If you are uncomfortable looking for, understanding, and applying that simple modification, you will be in a world of hurt down the road, as this will surely be only one of many things you will have to do to your TiVo as time goes on.

As for keeping this hack a secret, I personally find it somewhat humorous. With all the open talk going on about the hack, I doubt TiVo is going to sit by and do nothing just because the hack isn't automatic. What I do believe in, however, is that the TiVo hacker needs to get his hands dirty, if only a little bit, since future moves by TiVo, not to mention future desireable enhancements, will require the hacker to start digging into the technical details of the machine. Better to start now with understanding the call avoidance hack then to start later when the TiVo no longer works and the wife is bitching you out for making her miss a week block of her favorite soap!

well I got the generic message that the dtivo must make a call within 7 days or its functions will cease. So I believ i need to connect a phone line and force a local call and it will be good to go for another 30 days?

is this safe? I added the rm and mkdir to the log directory so the logs are deleted
    1Dave1

Originally posted by 1dave1
    well I got the generic message that the dtivo must make a call within 7 days or its functions will cease. So I believ i need to connect a phone line and force a local call and it will be good to go for another 30 days?

is this safe? I added the rm and mkdir to the log directory so the logs are deleted
    After you install Xtreme NEVER put the phone cord back in the Tivo!!!! Force the call without the cord. It should be fine, that is if your setup is right. (I just tried this.)

SD

I'll help a little- First get a bash prompt. THat should be no problem if 2.5treme installed ok. THen search for bash & touch. You may still have to fill in a couple of blanks, and remember- linux is case sensitive.

good luck

29 Bash where?

O.K., I've been doing my reading and I think I get the whole bash and touch thing.... I havent' actually tried it yet 'cause I'm still a little confused on where to actually execute it.

Do I use touch from the prompt when booting from the Xtreme CD or do I have to connect to the acutal unit with the null modem cable???

Re: Bash where?

Originally posted by bronco13
    O.K., I've been doing my reading and I think I get the whole bash and touch thing.... I havent' actually tried it yet 'cause I'm still a little confused on where to actually execute it.

Do I use touch from the prompt when booting from the Xtreme CD or do I have to connect to the acutal unit with the null modem cable???
    From the bash prompt.

SD

(PS: thats what we all did...)
    I didn't..

I made it all up as I went..
    .. Still do come to think of it..