Thread: Switching Legit Subbed Cards/Receivers

27 Switching Legit Subbed Cards/Receivers

I got a DirectTivo with the subscription reequirement
    (actually 2 receivers w/ 2 Hu's with sub requirement).

Since I have to sub the Hu card(s) for a while anyway...

Can I put the new (Tivo unit's) Hu in a non-Tivo receiver even though I tell them it's in the DirecTivo unit and just plug in the non-Tivo receicver for the call-in's?

have to plug them in because I have more than 1 receiver subbed...

No hacks at all to either legit sub's Hu bins.

Is the actual unit's S/N (not the CAM ID) sent during the call in?

Please advise.

The short answer is: NO

The longer answer is still no. When they activate the cards, they activate them for the specific card and IRD serial number pair. That is referred to as marrying the card. If they didn't do that, you could take one card and use it with many receivers.

If the DirecTivo's are making their daily calls, you would be amazed at what volume of personal information is being sent with those calls.

It even gets down to which keys you pressed and in which order. So, I am pretty sure it is sending your IRD number in there somewhere.

Mongo is correct. When you sub your DirecTivo machine, DirecTV will ask you for the CAM id on the back of the HU card. It's the biggest number on there. Also they will ask you for the serial number of the DirecTivo unit. Both of these numbers are reported to DirecTV when by the party you bought your systems from. This is how they can verify if you subbed or not as per your contract. If you don't sub within the specified period of time, they will probably charge you a penalty fee of $300 / receiver or whatever your agreement said the fee would be. Hope this helps.

Thanks guys but...

No that's not the situation.

Here are more details.

I want to "play" (emulate/Tivohack/experiment/learn etc.)with the DSR6000 (1 of the 2 receivers that are under contract to subscribe).

So before the card is electronically married to the receiver
    (during the receiver's first power up cycle), I want
    to put it in some other (whatever) receiver and then activate this
    [whatever receiver/new subbed Hu] combo. I would then give Dave the DSR6000's S/N and the card's CAM ID (as these are no doubt reported by the legitimate dealer to Dave). Again, no 'hacks' on the Hu card whatsoever)

The question would be if during the required phone call in to Dave (multiple receivers same household absolute requirement for phone call in), does the IRD send its receiver's S/N?

Dave doesn't marry the card, the receiver does (I know this can be easily undone with a HU loader and Extreme Hu anyway if they are already married upon their delivery to me).

You may be confused on what your requirements are. I did the same thing ($75 DTivo special). Since I already had 1 sub and needed to add a 2nd receiver anyway, I went for it. I wanted to "play" with the DSR6000 I got as well. The person you bought the receiver from could care less what receiver you use the card that came with it in. Here's what I did, told them I was buying the receiver as a gift but wanted to subscribe the card that came with it in a different receiver. They told me they didn't care what I did with it as long as the card that was supplied with it was subbed. All they care about is the sub and not which receiver it's being married to. So sub the card in a different receiver and use your DTivo to "play".

subbed card

Yes. This is true.. Does your contract have a time stipulation? My contract read I just had to activate the card within 90 days. It doesn't have a length of time listed. I activated the receiver and then canceled after 1 month. They haven't billed me the penlty yet. It's been 3 months.

They also only watch the HU Bin to make sure it was subbed. I am sure you could get away with subbing it in another receiver.

JQ

Thanks. That's what I thought.

It did say that it needed to be activated and kept in service for 12 months.

But I don't know if they track the duration of the service
    as much as the YES/NO activation within a time period after the
    sale.

I've seen a few posts where people canceled before the contrract was up with no reported repercussions.

Anybody experience this (cancelleing BEFORE term of subscription
    was met) without charges???
    Last edited by yotool; 01-14-2002 at 09:09 PM.

Well, you said you wanted to do it legitimately, so I gave you the legitimate answer. That involves activating the CAM and the IRD that came together (and which D* knows cames that way).

Anything else involves a hack of some sort, even if paid for, which is none of my business except for you stating that you wanted info on how legitmate subscriptions were handled.

Well, you said you wanted to do it legitimately, so I gave you the legitimate answer. That involves activating the CAM and the IRD that came together (and which D* knows cames that way).
    I'm not so sure that D* knows what IRD comes with what card. From past posts that I've read on other sites, a store like circuit city only reports the card# to D*. Someone even claimed that he used to work for circuit city & that was all the info that he needed to pass along. When I activated a card D* asked me if I was using the same reciever that the card came with. It was a new receiver & a new card, but they didn't come together. I lied and said that it was the same card that I bought with the reciever & I didn't have any problems. Another thing. More than once I've changed IRD's with D*. Every time they tell me that it probably can't be done & that the card is meant to work in a specific IRD..& that a lot of the time "Certian cards won't work in other receivers. Every time they have been able to sucessfully unmarry & remarry it to the new box.....After I insist that they try. Funny how that works.

DTV doesn't care about the IRD

DTV only cares that you activate and pay for a sub when you get the card. They couldn't care less about the IRD you put the card in.

However, the card does 'marry' the IRD you put it in. This is so you can't just carry your HBO subscription to your friends house. Also, it's to help keep the locals contained to the address they were sub'd at. The IRD does report it's serial number when it dials in, and DTV would have questions for you if you somehow convinced a card to work in a different IRD (read hack).

All that being said, they don't care as long as you use the card in the IRD that you sub'd it in.

-loopy