Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tips of the Trade

Tips of the Trade

I use bash prompt very frequently, I find it the easiest way to transfer files to and from the tivo. 2 things that i have noticed that may help out those "new" to this kind of thing. file transfer is slow.... and when using joe to edit files, lines seem to get misplaced... SO here is how to fix these....

I only use teraterm pro, so all examples will be from it..

1. transfering files is slow...
    The way to fix this is to type "stty 115200" at your bash prompt, then your bash prompt will go away, you will then need to go to your teraterm setup and change the serial port setup to 115200 (instead of 9600), you can now transfer files at about 12 times the original speed. You canmake this change permenant by adding the above command to .bashrc (should be in the root dir of your xtreme image , yes its there i promise) and note you will most likely have to reset your terminal to this every time.

2. Joe gives you some "extra line weird thing"(technical term) when editing files from bash...
    The way to fix this is to goto teraterm setup, then to terminal settings and change the terminal size to 80x25, instead of the 80x24 that is set there by default. once again this will most likely have to be changed again each time teraterm is opened and closed...

Hope this helped.. i know it help me..
    -= Glitched =-

Depending on your serial cable, you may find that 57,600 is the fastest you want to go. I found that 115200 was causing zmodem to freak out so it would take longer then just using 57600.

Of course my serial cable is 40 feet long.

I beleive you can save TTPRO setup, you only have to put the same name as the initial .ini in the directory where you execute TeraTerm.

good call bato... never saw the "save setup".. i always was one to miss the obvious things
    -= Glitched =-

Transfers if you're using TiVoNet...

If you get bash via a telnet session and want to xfer files, rz/sz is hit & miss. Zmodem doesn't really like TCP/IP.

Instead, get the FTP daemon for TiVo to transfer files.

http://pvrhack.sonnik.com/tivo/dl_info.asp?DLID=39

Concerned about heat?

Based on a tip from AVSForum, I got some of these flat fan units. I placed my DTivo on top of it, and lowered the temp 8C.

No messing with drilling holes or upgrading the internal fan.

They're pretty kewl...

http://store.yahoo.com/zerus/notebookcooler.html

I am not connected in any way with the seller. Just a neat product that alleviates a concern of many...

Lightbulb Experiment with Impunity

I don't claim this trick is highly original or advanced, but it's saved my butt on more than one occasion so I figured I'd post it...

When hacking around on tivo it can be a little too easy to end up with an unbootable box - especially when making changes to rc.sysinit. It gets a bit stale pulling out the torx driver after a while , so here's a way to give yourself a safety.

Pick a dummy file to use, e.g. /var/hack/foo

Edit the rc.sysinit file, but enclose your changes in a conditional block as follows:

if [ -e /var/hack/foo ]; then
    rm -f /var/hack/foo
    # put your test code here
    else
    # put the original code here if applicable
    fi

Then, to test your new changes, do
    touch /var/hack/foo
    sync
    reboot

If all goes well, you can remove the conditional bit. If not and your TiVo won't boot, simply remove and reapply power and the next time it starts up it will skip the new block and boot as normal, allowing you to figure out what's wrong.

Hope this is useful to somebody.
    "Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"

Re: Experiment with Impunity

[i]

rm -f /var/hack/foo
    else
    fi

[/B]
    For some reason it is not deleting my foo file. I dont think that it is excuting in the sysinit file. I created a tcl script and it runs fine from a bash promt. Any ideas why it wont execute from the rc.sysinit? Does it make a difference where it is placed in the file?

thanks

dertb

Concerned about heat?
    Based on a tip from AVSForum, I got some of these flat fan units. I placed my DTivo on top of it, and lowered the temp 8C.

No messing with drilling holes or upgrading the internal fan.

They're pretty kewl...

http://store.yahoo.com/zerus/notebookcooler.html

I am not connected in any way with the seller. Just a neat product that alleviates a concern of many...

I'm thinking about buying one of these. Does anyone have any experiences with them? Are they worthwhile? Do they generate a lot of noise?

Re: Experiment with Impunity

rm -f /var/hack/foo
    else
    fi
    This is an excellent tip but to expand on it a bit, how about

else
    touch /var/hack/foo
    rm -f /var/hack/foo
    fi

This requires less interaction from you and if your test code fails,
    it'll run your original code instead after you reboot.

-Chinhster

Originally posted by jackass_llama

I'm thinking about buying one of these. Does anyone have any experiences with them? Are they worthwhile? Do they generate a lot of noise?
    Very quiet. Probably not quiet enough for the bedroom, but fine in any other room. 8C temp difference - as reported by the Tivo.

I think this tip should be worthwhile, as it helped all 4 of my tivos boot faster, (on one by 3 minutes, 10 seconds on the least tweaked one, not much, but its a start) and I am sure it will help many others.

Add a 'sleep 300' in rc.sysinit right before executing any of the hack scripts you might use, saves overhead during the initial bootup, and will allow the 'acquiring satellite information' part to finnish faster.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

Faster Turbonet transfers

Using my dual-tuner-enabled DSR6000 and Turbonet, I extract video using jdiner's excellent TyTool4. I run very few other mods except noscramble and no continuous scripts.

I've found that I get 1.1MB per second transfers normally with my 100baseT network card and using a crossover cable.

However, if I just put the DSR6000 into Standby mode, I get 1.35MB per second transfers.

A sweet 22% speed increase. And you don't need to learn TCL to get it to work.

I would guess that the dual-tuner recording and live TV display takes extra time on the system bus. It also seems to get even slower than 1.1MB if you park the system on an animated system menu while extracting.

P.S. After more research, I've found that Standby mode is not always such a speed boost. It also seems to depend on whether you're running dual-tuners and where the DTivo is storing the material on its hard drive and how full the DTivo hard drive is.
    Last edited by rd001; 06-28-2002 at 09:10 AM.

Use setpri

To minimize audio/video skipping, (nay, probably eliminate it completely, and even possibly eliminate unexpected rebooting), you should run ALL of your hacks at the lowest priority.

Embeem has pointed out to me that nice does nothing for prioritizing your tivo. Instead use setpri, which you can download here .

Copy setpri into your /bin directory, chmod +x it, and in your rc.sysinit, add this line before the line to call bash:

setpri fifo 1 $$

Not only will this do what I mentioned above, but it could also speed up the boot time, and make your tivo pay more attention to what your keying in on your remote instead of worrying about the next transaction that some script you are looping wants to execute. This will not break any of your hacks' ability to perform their function. This works great if you run nosdd, tivotitle, or mvchannels regularly.
    Last edited by AlphaWolf; 08-30-2002 at 12:50 PM.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

Alphawolf:

Would you place the setpri fifo 1 $$ at the very beginning of the rc.sysinit file? If I have an rc.sysinit.author file, can I put it in there instead? (I hate editing rc.sysinit).