I have noticed a few people selling receivers with 25xtreme on
    ebay claiming lifetime TIVO Service. I think these people need
    a major talking to. A few bad apples can spoil everything for
    all of us. Maybe ebay needs to know what they are doing and
    they will kick their auctions out. They seem to have lost
    their minds. Comments Please.....

Yep

I agree with you,
    People wil do anything for a buck, and it seems these *****s are no exception. This can ONLY be bad news for the Tivo hackers. Once TIVO get's pissed about things like this, then a new update will be our reward.

IF ANYONE WHO IS READING THIS IS A SELLER ON EBAY WITH THESE ITEMS, WTF ARE YOU THINKING? Oh right, your not.

MAdd0c
    Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run, there's still time to change the road your on.
    Led Zeppelin

If they actually have lifetime subs on them, it isn't too bad.. if not, they are not delivering what they are selling and TiVo and EBay should be made aware of it. TiVo, because these people are commiting fraud under TiVos name, and eBay, because at the very least these people are not delivering what they say they are.

verify that they have NOT actually paid for a lifetime sub first though..

researched ebay and found

Are you sure these people are not selling a lifetime subscription that they actually paid for? I don't think they would be very smart if they sold a hacked subscription considering you know who they are. It's likely but not very smart. I would say most of the people are selling real subscriptions.

JQ

If they were selling real lifetime sub's wouldn't it still have to call in? If not people could get there own lifetime almost as cheap as buying these or paying CCC.

Go to ebay and look up TIVO and pick out the directivo
    receivers. You generally can spot the *****s that have upgraded
    the receivers as they sell for about $300 or so. Look at the
    description. It says it has a lifetime subscription, but does not
    call TIVO, etc, etc. Check it out. I am not kidding, they are
    there !!!! Someone needs to take these fools out behind the
    barn and give them a serious talk.

Here is one example.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1321866515 While the seller does not mention 25xtreme, she explicitly states that it has been hacked to never call in. Now there is being dishonest, and there is being stupid. I'd say this is being stupid and dishonest.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

contact ebay and inform them that that sale is in violation of the law.

contact TiVo and let them know that someone is directly impinging on their trademark and implying that they are selling a unit that has a lifetime sub when it in fact does not.

has someone reported them yet? I will make up a fake account that we can't report with cause I don't want anyone tracing me. But if some one has already done it I won't go to the trouble.

Dont report them....That would just cause what you are worried would happen....You dont want Tivo creating anti hacks, then dont go alerting them to such activity....If you go to ebay then they will go to tivo to find out whats going on....The disclaimer at the bottom of that ad says they are not doing anything illegle so ebay couldn't cancel their ads anyway.....

33 Report Them

I say report them. If they are doing something illegal, eBay should know about it and stop them.

I am sort of confused now. Look at what Bubbaj wrote at the end of this post:
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...5&pagenumber=2

Now I read this post and I am confused. Is it illegal to do what the people are doing on eBay?

-J

30 Reply from Ebay Fool

This is a reply from one of the *****s running ebay ads for a
    receiver using 2.5

Quote:

Note: That this unit does not offer material which violates someone's copyright, trademark, or other rights.

TiVo uses the UNIX/Linux operating system which can be feely modified as per the UNIX copyright by AT&T.

End Quote

I guess some people are total *****s and brainless.

Really Dumb

Last edited by ohboyhowdee; 01-17-2002 at 04:53 PM.

Exclamation Enough is enough !!!

<Snip>Stuff that really doesn't need to be here </snip>

listing here stupid moron:

I think you don't have any idea with who you try to F@ck. Stop bother me yours stupid E-mails.

Last edited by BubbaJ; 01-17-2002 at 05:32 PM.

Quote:

Note: That this unit does not offer material which violates someone's copyright, trademark, or other rights.

TiVo uses the UNIX/Linux operating system which can be feely modified as per the UNIX copyright by AT&T.

End Quote
    The entire above statement is INCORRECT.

TiVo uses the Linux Operating System, which can be freely modified and distributed per the GPL provided the GPLs restrictions are also met.

TiVo includes Code which is Copyrighted by TiVo. TiVos inclusion of their copyrighted code along with GPL'd code in a single product grants anyone who can receive a license for the GPL'd code a free license for the copyrighted code. This makes distribution of extreme legal, and even makes distribution of TiVos which have the service hack legal, as long as some provisions are made:

1) It must be made PERFECTLY CLEAR that the unit will not be supported by TiVo.

2) It must be made PERFECTLY CLEAR that NO fee has been paid to TiVo for lifetime service.

3) It must be made PERFECTLY CLEAR that the unit has been modified, must name who made the modifications, and must state that the product uses GPL'd code, alongside nonGPL'd code.

The auction, as it exists is illegal.